Discuss Softboard ceilings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just had a look at pricing a rewire, house is probably over 100 years old and has rubber coated wiring in use from whenever it was modernised.

The ceilings are boarded with a soft, cardboardy board that has a bumpy surface and the joins are taped (none of it skimmed) full room lengths in a big grid pattern. I have came across these type of ceilings a few times, but never had to really disturb them. Are they likely to contain asbestos? - I have seen them numerous times on a particular local authority housing estate on tyneside and presume due to the nature of the boards that if they contained asbestos they would have been removed.

Looking at the state of the house, the ceiling boards must be at least 50 / 60 years old.

If you give it a decent poke with a screwdriver handle it will leave a dent.
Its easy to break bits off, I have copied this picture from elsewhere on the internet (someone asking the same question but they didn't get an answer) - this is what broken off bits look like

Softboard ceilings ceilin - EletriciansForums.net

My usual asbestos man was too busy to come for a look (this job over an hours drive away!) while I was there, and the local one wanted £200 to visit the site- despite being only 400 yards away on the local industrial estate. Any opinions?

Be a bit careful here .....the boards might not contain asbestos, but the paint might!

Probably Cellotex but given the age of the building I would not even consider disturbing it, making holes etc. until an asbestos survey gave the all clear.
We all know the drill by now presume asbestos until confirmed otherwise. Sounds like the company you spoke to didn't want to do the survey quoting £200, the local companies round here don't charge that much unless there is travel involved.
I would quote for the job and request the client provide you an asbestos survey which is their responsibility as building owner.

It looks like fibre board to me especially given the age! If so I've been assured it's safe to work on. The trouble you will have is when you need to remove a panel or two, you'll struggle to get one off in one piece let alone been able to refit without it breaking up.

Loads round my way and have been told its safe.
apparently they used it a lot after the war as a cheap replacement when the ceilings fell in due to the dirty Hun dropping bombs every where. Least that's what I was told by an old boy builder

Looks like common fibreboard,they are best cut with a pad saw rather than poking holes with a screwdriver
If that contains asbestos, then my own asbestos levels will have that stuff making up quite a large portion

It probably has none,but its your health and there lies your problem,

Reply to Softboard ceilings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock