Discuss Software for Certs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

So a little while ago I started a thread with a digitally fillable MIWC I created with a promise of creating an EIC and EICR too, however, I hit a stumbling block with the limitation of the Adobe Reader software and the needs of those forms.

I'm in the process of creating an app - primarily Android/Apple to do this, but just wondering if anyone would be interested in using this too.

There's already a couple of apps that I know of that can do this and much more advanced stuff than I plan, but those apps also charge. My plan is to create a free app that allows you to complete certificates and then email them as needed.

The app would be aimed at one-man bands who typically work in a domestic setting. It wouldn't have any sync abilities so the data is only available on, say, your iPad - if you open the app on your phone you can create a cert but the data wouldn't copy across from what you'd previously done on your iPad.

As I've said, I know there's apps out there that do this sort of stuff for a fee, but I'm mainly creating this for me, and wondered who else might be interested.

As for release date, I've no idea yet - it's early days.

hightower if you want to do it for free add a donate option inside it.

I'm not looking for anything out of it to be honest, whenever I write software I tend to add a 'donate to charity' option and normally select Cancer Research. It's not totally self-less, makes me feel good about doing something like this :)

It sounds like a good idea, it is not something I would use, but should be useful to others.
Just remember not to put anything too good in it or it will be reverse engineered and sold as an add on to a costed one!!

Ok, so when I put pencil to paper I had a drastic change of heart of what I think my requirements would be. I didn't want something where I was limited to just using my iPad or my phone, I wanted the possibility of being able to sit at a computer to complete certificates too - I wanted the flexibility of using whatever device I wanted, and the easiest way for me to achieve that was web based.

However, this comes with a downside - you need a web connection to be able to complete certificates, which is a trade off I wasn't bothered about since my iPad has a sim card and I can still theoretically use it on the go. With this downside there is a massive upside though, that certificates you create follow you - you can create a certificate on your phone, then finish it off on your computer when you get back in the house. I know not everyone will have an internet connection on the move, but I hope this is still useful for those that do or for those that are just wanting to digitalise certificates once they get back in the house.

Anyhow, I've started with the Minor Works Cert again, and you can view my progress here:

uCert

It currently offers no user logon (so if you create an example cert to try it out please use fake data as everyone will be able to view it) and I know there's an issue with some of the formatting of the PDF, but it's enough to give you an idea about how it works and will let you decide if it would be useful for you.

Appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions for features. P.S. Give it a go on your mobile device too, it should look pretty good if I've done my job right.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Just to keep you all in the loop, I've been working hard on the EIC section. It's quite the face ache as it's somewhat more complex than the MIWC. I've just completed the Schedule of inspections sections. I have the Schedule of test results section to write, and then I have to setup the PDF writer, but I'm hoping by the end of this week I'll be well on with it and will hopefully have the EIC part live for people to have a play with.

I've made really good progress on the system this week and I am close to having a working prototype of the EIC functionality ready to play with. I was hoping that was going to be by the close of play today but it turns out I forgot about a meeting this morning I was scheduled for so instead spent the morning pushing pencils around a desk while people mutter on about nothing important. Anyway, I've only got the Schedule of Test Results template to create for the EIC and then I'll publish that functionality, so maybe close of play Monday.

Ok, so when I put pencil to paper I had a drastic change of heart of what I think my requirements would be. I didn't want something where I was limited to just using my iPad or my phone, I wanted the possibility of being able to sit at a computer to complete certificates too - I wanted the flexibility of using whatever device I wanted, and the easiest way for me to achieve that was web based.

However, this comes with a downside - you need a web connection to be able to complete certificates, which is a trade off I wasn't bothered about since my iPad has a sim card and I can still theoretically use it on the go. With this downside there is a massive upside though, that certificates you create follow you - you can create a certificate on your phone, then finish it off on your computer when you get back in the house. I know not everyone will have an internet connection on the move, but I hope this is still useful for those that do or for those that are just wanting to digitalise certificates once they get back in the house.

Anyhow, I've started with the Minor Works Cert again, and you can view my progress here:

uCert

It currently offers no user logon (so if you create an example cert to try it out please use fake data as everyone will be able to view it) and I know there's an issue with some of the formatting of the PDF, but it's enough to give you an idea about how it works and will let you decide if it would be useful for you.

Appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions for features. P.S. Give it a go on your mobile device too, it should look pretty good if I've done my job right.

Thanks,

Are you sure you're in the right trade lol?

Top marks Hightower very impressive. I had a play around with the MWC and I am looking forward to the EIC. As someone else has stated are sure you want to be a sparks as your computers skills are really top notch.

I quite enjoy my programming work as it's finding solutions to problems most of the time, and the results are fairly tangible. That's what I like about electrics too - problem solving and tangible results

Morning all, I've just uploaded to my server my current version. It's still lacking user login so beware any information you insert is public domain - in other words, don't create any real certs with it yet, just use test data to have a play.

So, what's changed? Well I now have a working version of the EIC on as well as the MIWC. I know the formatting of the PDFs aren't perfect yet so please bare with that.

The EIC was a bit of a slog, but I've made it so each EIC can have any number of Schedule of Test Results and Schedule of Inspections. I've tested quite extensively and seems to work well on computers and mobiles alike. The PDF generation might take a second or two as there is loads of data to process.

Appreciate any comments/feedback/suggestions. Got plenty of features still to implement so watch this space.

Reply to Software for Certs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net