Discuss Solar can heater help in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Battlestar

Hi guys, I want to build a solar pop can heater but a little electrical work is involved and I have no idea what to do so would appreciate any help you can provide.

Here is my plan:

To build a box around 150 - 180 x 60cm and have some way to put a computer fan in it to blow the air (not sure how to power it as of yet).

I was thinking of using Plywood to build the frame as MDF is not as strong but any suggestions to keep costs down are appreciated (ill be using B&Q and Wickes to buy the wood so anything you see on their suitable, please tell me).

I'll get the acrylic sheet from the above suppliers, they come in 180x60

I got the cans from home and family and plan to do 10 cans by 7 which is 114x48cm in total but can go more if I don't cut the sheet of acrylic down or make a small box. I have siliconed a few more cans and have sealed with Fire Retardant Silicone.

I've just ordered:
Thermawrap Loft Insulation 400mm x 5m shown here which I hope will be ok to insulate the inside and sides of the box.
2 x 400ml cans of matt black heatproof spray up to 650 Deg Cel to spray the cans and box.
Aluminium Silver Foil tape (3m x 50mm) not sure where I will use it but maybe to line insides panels.
3m of Aluminium foil flexi ducting.

I'm not sure how big to have the top and bottom air intake and out put channels (don't remember what the correct name is beginning with H) but I want to use a 10cm ducting connector which I need to buy.

I also have a 120mm PC fan but have no idea how to wire it or power it or where it should be placed in the assembly.
I'd also like to be able to get a digital temperature readout but don't have a clue how to do this and have a way for the unit to come on when the unit temperature goes above a set temperature (I've heard alot about snapdisk in regards to this on youtube but have no idea what it is).

Well that's all the info I have for now but hope its enough and hope one of you guys can help with the technical side of things.

is this a solar air heater you're trying to make using stacks of cans?

Yeah it is, my cans atm:
img20121111154850.jpg

Going for something like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZc6lXzKP0

But not as epic.

what are you expecting to heat with that? for reference, it's currently around 1/4 the size of a standard solar water heating panel. If it's a small greenhouse or something then I suppose the air heater could do something useful.

thermawrap only really works with an air gap btw as it mostly works with reflecting radiated heat.

I want to heat up the converted garage (19'x23'), it does have a main gas fire in place but I thought i'll give this a go. It's more of a pass time activity then expecting it to make a real impact but I will be an interesting experiment (I will have to figure out how to connect a pc fan to push air through the system, but I have seen these triple the original intake temperature). What would you recommend for insulating against heat loss inside the box (anything on Wickes/Screwfix or B&Q site you would recommend)?

It's very interesting looking. If you used campbell's soup tins you could pass it off as a Andy Warhol modern art masterpiece. Just kidding.

You could make the case from tanalised gravel boards and use twin wall fluted plastic sheet for the back and an immersion heater jacket might be worth looking at for cheap insulation. B&Q usually have them on offer.

As for the powering the PC fan the best thing I can think of would be to buy a universal charger with adjustable voltage from 5-12 volts~ or maybe a small solar panel. If you have enough light to power the fan then you have enough to get some heat maybe.

For monitoring the in and out temp maybe something like this would do the job

XSPC LCD Display Temperature Sensor - White (28x48x14mm) | eBay

let us know how you get on, it would be very interesting to see how it performs.

Reply to Solar can heater help in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net