Discuss solar panel man that thinks he an electrician... what can i do? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

suffolkspark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all.... so I have a customer where I live that I have worked for for many years but last year I was stupidly busy and was unable to replace their consumer units for them, they were having a 3phase solar panel setup installed and had old Wylex open backed fuseboards with old crabtree BS4293 RCD's in individual enclosures. Its an old timber frames house and I just didn't have the time to undertake the work and likely remedial works.

So... fast forward 6 months...... they gave me a call as they required a few small jobs completing. On arrival she said the Solar chap had got it all sorted and to come upstairs and look at the shiney new fuseboard!!!........ I did...........

this is it !

you can see he cut the meter tags, each tail is through a separate comp gland, its not AM3 compliant, there is now NO rcd protection on anything, you could fit your c**k in with the t/e cables where they go through bushes on the sides, and it looks a sack of ---- to top it off! some MCB's are even fitted back to front.

I obviously walked away and said I'm not touching anything especially with the meter having been tampered with.

I heard nothing and fast forward another 6 months, they wanted some lights changing and said the solar chap had an electrician during this time and put everything right.... and now he's fitted battery banks in the attic for the solar panels, has 3phase to these going off on 3 single phase MCB's :S ! still no RCD in sight and now a bank of breakers have appeared next to the main switch labelled OFF GRID.

seriously what can I do about it because he's created one hell of a potentially dangerous situation, I told the customer and all she said was how he was such a nice man. I've decided I'm not touching it full stop but this guy could be doing this all the time. where do we stand?

WP_20160218_13_29_12_Pro.jpg

Why is it your problem. Is it commercial or domestic. What do you mean by non AM3 compliant.

Domestic, its got a plastic door and was fitted after the regs changed ( hager do do an AM3 door but its as much as a new board) not my problem really just been a customer for 10 years and they've obviously payed this bis guy a lot of money to make their house a lot less safe than it was and it bugs me that we pay all this money year on year to nic or napit or whoever to maintain our good standards but this sort of thing goes on still, guess we will never stop it though just thought it was a nice picture to share to brighten up a friday evening :)

Reply to solar panel man that thinks he an electrician... what can i do? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net