Discuss Solar Panels do not reduce Electricity Usage significantly - Confused in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is it not the case that once reverse energy has been detected, this message(RED)is added to the meter cycle as it goes through the various meter rates and continues to show indefinately. I have it showing, even after dark?

Is it not the case that once reverse energy has been detected, this message(RED)is added to the meter cycle as it goes through the various meter rates and continues to show indefinately. I have it showing, even after dark?
I believe you are correct as the meters are designed to detect reverse energy and will stay like this unless reset. Its a foolhardy attempt to stop meter fiddling. If you have solar or wing etc ignore it.

Various comments

rolyberkin:
1. Fascinating. Wonder why you got so much and I get little. I only do washing during the day (and usually sunny days so it can hang in the garden.) Dont do washing even in the evenings even in the winter.

Only 1 of me so I dont use the dishwasher that much.

I agree entirely with the plan for solar iboost (or similar). Be interesting to see what additional savings that brings

Soms: Yes, I agree the with the approach of maximising the use of the energy I generate. Afterall, its effectively free!

Winter Generation.
Nov - March I generated about 600Kwh (assuming generation meter started at 0)
March to November I generated about 3000kwh
Thats about 3.5 times more in summer month than winter month.

I really would be checking for something being switched on in the house that shouldn't be as that's the most likely explanation of this situation.

Turn everything off that you're aware of as well as the solar pv system, and time the time between flashes on the LED on your incoming meter. Each flash is one watt hour, so from that you can calculate the power draw. Then you can run through turning each circuit off one at a time until you find which circuit was still drawing more power than you'd have expected, then investigate everything on that circuit until you find the culprit.

Gavin: Sounds an excellent plan. May take a day or so but I will report back.

So a quick look says currently (2 PCs, TV and 5 or 6 lights) I get 3 flashes in 15 seconds so that is 1 watt hour every 5 seconds. I seem to have too many time units here so how do I turn this into Kw used?

Energy meters with a graphical display are very cheap!

Maybe get one and you'll have real time information on what's on.

Reply to Solar Panels do not reduce Electricity Usage significantly - Confused in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net