Discuss Solar PV, Immersun and a possible Combi-Boiler in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MicraShed

Having long thought of Combi boilers as the work of the Devil, Im finally coming around to the thought that they might not be quite so bad.
I still have my elderly Baxi Solo at home feeding a gravity hot water set up and primatic tank but in my static caravan I have a Morco Combi that produces oodles of piping hot water and takes up little space.

Im wondering, if I re-site a boiler into my airing cupboard ( will have to have a roof venting flue) are there any DHW tanks that would work with the combi boiler and with the Immersun - my way of thinking is that if the water in the tank was the correct temp for the taps ( say 55 degrees) then it would go to the taps, but if it was cooler than that then it would be fed to the boiler mixing with mains cold water to bring the temp down a bit but bolster up the pressure? Oh and I forgot to mention the DHW tank would be sited in the loft above the boiler, but itself not have a CWT feed, so I would be looking at some sort of mains fed tank...

Or am I dreaming these things up and should stick to reading Flash Gordon comic books?

My present set up, despite being 21 years old works brilliantly and the Immersun gives us stacks of hot water in the summer months, and the Baxi is working well ( touch wood) The only reason Im thinking about it is the kitchen where the boiler lives is tiny and Im thinking if I can move a boiler upstairs I can get another big cupboard in the kitchen....

Why not move original boiler or install new conventional/system boiler to airing cupboard? What's the reason for wanting a combi? Personally if it was me id upgrade to fully pumped with something like a Worcester Ri boiler and an unvented cylinder..... It will pee all over a combi.

Lee

Have a read of the link and you will see that it works with either PV or thermal. It is also specifically compatible with an Immersun (although it will work with most load controllers I understand).

There are a number of ways to use a cylinder with a combi.

The problem with combis is the maximum flow they can give, OK for one bathroom and kitchen, you'll struggle when you get more bathrooms.

Pop over here: there's loads of help : Central Heating Forum

Check out also this: Plumbing in solar thermal to a combi boiler (combination boiler / geyser) | Solartwin ? From Genfit (ignore the solar thermal element and substiute immersion and immersun)

Some combis can accepted preheated water , some not.

Also http://www.alpha-innovation.co.uk/products/Solarsmart/SolarSmart

In general combis are only suitable for smaller properties.

Last edited:
Why not move original boiler or install new conventional/system boiler to airing cupboard? What's the reason for wanting a combi? Personally if it was me id upgrade to fully pumped with something like a Worcester Ri boiler and an unvented cylinder..... It will pee all over a combi.

The original boiler is wall vented - the airing cupboard is on a party wall and as much as my neighbours get on my chuff, finishing them off with CO fumes isnt something I want to be responsible for - so a powered flue venting through the roof with the DHW tank above this (in the loft) would be ideal.

There isnt the space on an external wall to place the old boiler now as where I would have put this in the loft is taken up with the inverter and PV array gear. The loft isnt that big.

I'll have a look at that document - thank you.

Although it'd be adding more new kit, Sunamp PV and their knowledge of feeding pre-heated water to a combi via proportional controllers, may be able to provide a neat solution for you. No personal install/operation experience, but it's interesting.

SunampPV | Sunamp

I've just had a unvented system fitted, would never go back to a combi.

It made the PV more straight forward too.

Reply to Solar PV, Immersun and a possible Combi-Boiler in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock