Discuss Solar PV wages in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tom262

Hello, I was Approched by a company about 6 months ago to install all there solar and help price as a sub contractor, I used to fit solar a few years ago in a previous company but never had anything to do with pricing or anything like that, I put myself though the courses put my apprentice though working at heights courses ect brought new access equipment ect, but don't know what to charge, or what the going rate is?? Cheers

I charge 450 a job for a 2 man team
We supply all AC Cable 2.5mm and tails
clips and screws then we also provide the roof fixings
'Sundries'

That includes the 100mile geographical spread and the Part P notification

I know some companies give more money. as for access equipment ladders? Because unless its a bungalow or has an adjoining wall to the roof I would only work on scaffolded jobs

It gets tricky as it is for doing contracting in the fact that unless you have done over 30k in the last business year in just labour cost then it still comes under CIS therefore the Installlation/Sales Company will/should charge the CIS for you then you would need to do the same for your roofer or team!
So for me I lose money every job until april!

£450 just for electrical side or roofing As well.
And you shouldn't be using anything smaller than 4mm T&E !

I charge 450 a job for a 2 man team
We supply all AC Cable 2.5mm and tails
clips and screws then we also provide the roof fixings
'Sundries'

That includes the 100mile geographical spread and the Part P notification

I know some companies give more money. as for access equipment ladders? Because unless its a bungalow or has an adjoining wall to the roof I would only work on scaffolded jobs

It gets tricky as it is for doing contracting in the fact that unless you have done over 30k in the last business year in just labour cost then it still comes under CIS therefore the Installlation/Sales Company will/should charge the CIS for you then you would need to do the same for your roofer or team!
So for me I lose money every job until april!

This is 2 cheap imo, think of the fuel alone on a 200 mile round trip , price of cable, bonding, trunking, conduit,clips,administration, insurances, general wear and tear on vehicle the list goes on ...

Don't do any pv myself but come across a fair bit and have never known if done in anything but 2.5.
because it's been installed by muppets working for companies who've not got a clue.

ALmost all the rent a roof rubbish has been done like this, then they wonder why they get loads of over voltage issues and the DNO laughs at them when they try to get the DNO to change the tappings.

Personally I don't mind too much as it means on any streets we install on with other systems in place, then the chances are it will be their inverters start tripping out first due to overvoltage, not ours.

why for the ac side a 4kw system can only output a max of 17amps.
volt drop should be under 1% at full power, otherwise it risks the inverter tripping out due to the over voltage limits.

or more basic than that, because the manufacturers say so.... but that's the reason.

that is %1 to the charger if its charging a battery not to the grid

Solar PV wages {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

this is the mcs guide and the only reference to 1%

1% is recommended, 3% is what the regs allow. Think about it though for return on investment you want as little as volt drop as possible.
for example; a 4KW inverter, 3% loss is 120 watts, 1% loss is 40 watts. Therefore limiting the voltage rise to the recomended 1% rather than the maximum permitted 3% saves 80 watts.

that is %1 to the charger if its charging a battery not to the grid

Solar PV wages {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

this is the mcs guide and the only reference to 1%
you really want to do this?

The a.c. cable connecting the inverter(s) to the consumer unit should be sized to minimise voltagedrop. A 1% drop or less is recommended. However in larger installations this may not be practicable
or economic due to the very large size of cable resulting. In this case the designer should minimise
voltage drop as far as possible and must remain within voltage drop limits as prescribed by BS 7671.
Note: The recommendation for a 1% voltage drop is due to two reasons: firstly when generating,
the voltage at the inverter terminals is higher than the voltage at the supplier’s cutout – during
periods of high power output this voltage drop must be kept to a minimum in order to prevent the
inverter nuisance tripping on over voltage ; secondly the requirement ensures losses from the PV
system are minimised.
mcs guide

as I said..... kinda ****es me off the huge number of sparks seem to not be able to grasp this fairly basic concept for solar PV installations really. It's right there in plain english in the guidance they're all supposed to follow as well as in the inverter manufacturers instructions. It's really not that difficult a concept to grasp, and yet probably at least half of all solar PV systems have been installed with this wrong and will be more prone to over voltage trip out issues as a result.

Probably stems from apparently being qualified after attending a basic 3 day course mostly led by instructors who've only got the most basic grasp of the subject themselves I suppose, but it's still right there in all the guidance and instruction manuals.

eta - plus the financial losses to the customer.

mcs guide

as I said..... kinda ****es me off the huge number of sparks seem to not be able to grasp this fairly basic concept for solar PV installations really. It's right there in plain english in the guidance they're all supposed to follow as well as in the inverter manufacturers instructions. It's really not that difficult a concept to grasp, and yet probably at least half of all solar PV systems have been installed with this wrong and will be more prone to over voltage trip out issues as a result.

Probably stems from apparently being qualified after attending a basic 3 day course mostly led by instructors who've only got the most basic grasp of the subject themselves I suppose, but it's still right there in all the guidance and instruction manuals.

Hey calm down lol look at my post #12 I've grasped it lol

mcs guide

get down off your high horse and finish the rest of the paragraph, it says in black and white it doesnt matter if you dont get 1%

get down off your high horse and finish the rest of the paragraph, it says in black and white it doesnt matter if you dont get 1%
does it really?

it says it's recommended, gives clear reasons why it's recommended, but gives allowances for this not being achieved in larger installations where it's not practical.

in a domestic installation there's almost never a reason not to hit 1%, the price difference is negligible between 2.5mm2 and 6mm2 cable.

It really is basic stuff, and when someone's paying £5-6k for an installation scrimping on the cable to save £20 is pretty shoddy IMO.

When I used to fit pv for EDF their spec on the AC side is 4mm as standard anything over 8meters has to 6mm and so on to maintain under 1%
yeah, 4mm2's not an issue for shorter runs, but most of the 2.5mm2 stuff seems to also be done by the companies installing in lofts, where it's usually a longer run even than that.

I find it simpler to only carry 6mm2 rather than trying to keep stocks of both 4mm2 and 6mm2 on the van, that way there's only the very occasional system on a mansion or something that needs a bigger csa.

if you work it out using bs7671 then 4mm is overkill using vd

mV/a/m x ib x L / 1000
2.5 twin is 18mV/a/m

so say 17amps for 4kw say 9m to the inverter

18 x 17a x 7m / 1000 =2.14v which is under 1%

Last edited:

Reply to Solar PV wages in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock