Discuss Sole trader, tax return, claimable? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

ajs

First year as a sole trader and first tax return. Just looking for some advice on what kinds of things can be 'claimed' ?

*Food receipts (work out of town a lot)?
*Fuel receipts for Van?
*Stationary for book keeping etc?
*Tool receipts?
*Parking receipts?

Really don't have a clue what i'm doing with it but would like to learn so as to avoid the need for an accountant in the future.

Sorry not gonna give the answer you want. I would personally reccommend using an accountant, I am a sole trader and my accountants fees are about £200-£250 a year and he has claimed for things that I would never had thought about and saved money, aswell as aggro. Also, I am lead to believe that if ever the tax man comes knocking you will regret the day you chose to do it yourself.

Ok fair comment. So in your case is it just a matter of keeping all receipts/documents of everything to do with 'the business' and then handing it to the accountant and he decides what can and can't be claimed?

Yep, I just get a tesco value folder full of platic wallets.

1. van, diesel , mot, ins,bla bla
2. liability ins
3.part p
4.mobile
5.clothes, shoes, tools
then I have a separate wallet for every months materials

and then of course an HONEST record of all the money I have recieved.

and my accountant has added use of my house, sundries (whatever that is) + a few other things. but i reckon the biggest plus to having an accountant is that it (apparantly) makes it harder for the taxman to catch you out, and time saved on doing tax returns. and now any time my accountant needs any electrical work he uses me, and has reccommended me to friends

Reply to Sole trader, tax return, claimable? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock