Discuss some nice work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi just thought i would show you guys some photos of the work iam trying to replace.Photo 1 is 4core 35sq mains feed to 2 storey office block, no2 is i.5 feeding lighting in several offices this is the best photo of the circuit the rest contain old rubber,single pvc only surface,conectors junctions the complete package.Have you seen better?

20131003_091739.jpg20140116_141422.jpg

Attachments

• 20131009_140610.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 391
Picture 2 is a fairly bog-standard chock block and JB bodge.

However Picture 1 ... Lol. How long's it been like that? My guess is from install, as SWA glands just don't pop out like that unless you were tightening them whilst under the influence of 4000pints.

Probably the SWA cable is a replacement for an older imperial sized SWA cable and gland or PILC cable. No thought has been given to securing the new gland to the enclosure, and it's not really that difficult to resolve either!! Cowboy work all over that old supply installation, which was probably an A1 job when first installed, and before the cowboys with no containment skills got involved in adding and replacing wiring and enclosures!!

On picture 1 there's no way that gland has ever been secured to that enclosure it looks like a plate is missing as you can see the bolt holes.
Also there must be 4 cores going in, I haven't seen a two core armoured with black and blue as it's main cores, hope the haven't just chopped the other two cores off.

On picture 1 there's no way that gland has ever been secured to that enclosure it looks like a plate is missing as you can see the bolt holes.
Also there must be 4 cores going in, I haven't seen a two core armoured with black and blue as it's main cores, hope the haven't just chopped the other two cores off.

That type of cable connection can come with a bolt-on screwed connection spout or a coned spout for PILC cable, the original connection spout plate is missing. There is also by the looks of it, a banjo fitted to that floating SWA, whether it's still intact or not is another question? If you look around this installation several things have been changed/altered. We can only go by what the OP has told us, if he is saying that this is a 4 core 35mm cable, that's what it is!! The photo angle could be hiding a lot more than we can see!! ...lol!!

its my monitor....its not showing colours properly...either the cable or the unit itself...

i`ll have to see to it....
what you see as the colours say G/Y for instance just looks like red here....

Last edited:
Hi yes swa is 4 core hard to see in photo,some more info got from worker the orignal cable became faulty when a rat in the underground duct 50m or so from main incomer eat through the cable which was kept in workshop.20140205_160456.jpg

it'll be the same on mine after 6 pints.

You should be seeing red by now Tel!
drink2.gif
drink2.gif
drink2.gif
drink2.gif
drink2.gif
drink2.gif

The first pic on post 14 is a bank of fuses, one of them has a porcelain cap missing so the bare metal is live. I think the fuses are a German design and usually called bottle fuses because of their shape.

A lot of older continental made machines used to have them as part of their control circuit. The last "new" machine I worked on a couple of years ago (retied now), had mcb's and electronic control so it's possible they're being phased out

Still used in much of the continent. They were once as common in most Europe as the Wylex 3036 CU's. Also popular in the States in the early days...

Reply to some nice work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net