Discuss Some opinions/advice on pricing this 5 bedroom rewire would be helpful... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been offered the 'opportunity' to rewire an unnocupied, empty of furniture and carpets 5 bedroom semi-detatched house. It has been extended and now has the following rooms: Bedroom 1,2,3,4 and 5. A Bathroom, Wet Room and En-Suite. A Hall and Landing. A Reception room and Lounge. 2 Dining rooms. A Kitchen and consumer unit cupboard. That's 15 rooms if you include the CU cupboard.

They want 196 points including 52 Sockets, 16 pendants and 37 down lights.

Not included in the points above that will want doing are 3 Electric Showers, 3 Extractor fans (inc. drilling cores), an Intruder Alarm, a 12 way consumer unit and a full test with certificate.

I estimated to the guy around 4,580 for labour only but 4,150 with mates rates. He has offered me 3,500 for just the labour, with him supplying all materials.

What does that sound like to you guys? Do you think i'll end up with a bitter taste in my mouth or does it sound ok to you?

I'm very new at pricing jobs because i've spent the last 2 years working with a spark and have recently stated to go off and do my own work, with this being my first big job.

Cheers

Sounds like a ****load of work for not much money.. I also am crap at pricing jobs. I tend to price too low, and end up putting myself under a lot of pressure, but even I can tell that that price is low. Call it 200 points as near as dammit. If you do it for £3500 you are working for £17.50 per point!!

I'd sod that job for a game of soldiers. If he wants to provide all the materials and call all the shots but expects you to take all the responsibilty and organise all your work amogst other trades, I'd tell this customer that you will be working on a day rate or walking the other way.
A priced job for a single handed inexperienced guy on a job this size could easily see you working for nowt as the work hits problems and this guy starts tacking on the unpaid extras.

Hi,

I have been offered the 'opportunity' to rewire an unnocupied, empty of furniture and carpets 5 bedroom semi-detatched house. It has been extended and now has the following rooms: Bedroom 1,2,3,4 and 5. A Bathroom, Wet Room and En-Suite. A Hall and Landing. A Reception room and Lounge. 2 Dining rooms. A Kitchen and consumer unit cupboard. That's 15 rooms if you include the CU cupboard.

Not included in the points above that will want doing are 3 Electric Showers, 3 Extractor fans (inc. drilling cores), an Intruder Alarm, a 12 way consumer unit and a full test with certificate.

I estimated to the guy around 4,580 for labour only but 4,150 with mates rates. He has offered me 3,500 for just the labour, with him supplying all materials.

What does that sound like to you guys? Do you think i'll end up with a bitter taste in my mouth or does it sound ok to you?

I'm very new at pricing jobs because i've spent the last 2 years working with a spark and have recently stated to go off and do my own work, with this being my first big job.

Cheers
£3500 or 175 hours of your labour at £20 per hour,you could get a labourer in to do hard jobs and still make a profit,call it 3 weeks steady work at £160 per day its not the worst

Way too cheap mate , your not even making any money on materials , I'd personally tell him no unless your desperate for the work negotiate

As you was describing the job i got to about £6.5 k labour plus vat

Even if you work like greased lightening, at that price hes pulling your pants down

1st rule of working for your self is..there is no mates rates, mates rates to a self employed person = loosing money whilst he could be spending his valuable time on a properly paid job

ask your mate to get a few proper quotes then say youll talk again, i reckon youll get quotes from about 8k plus vat all in

he will have a realisation of the true value of the job then realise hes getting a bargain at your first offer

it's a £9000+ job, all in. get him up to £4500 labour or tell him to get a monkey.

Hi,

Cheers

So even after offering a special 'mates 'rates' price to him, he still wants to get it even cheaper? That's not a 'mate'. Daz

That's put things more into perspective. I knew it was starting to get far too low but kept thinking about a 3.5k chunk of cash. I do really want the work as it's local so i'll have my absolute floor at 4k and if he thinks he can do better then good luck to him.

if you're going for that, then ensure that you have an agreement with him. £800 each friday, then any balance paid on completion.

sounds too cheap to me. But If your happy with the quote and can make some money go for it. Agree your terms beforehand and be VERY clear about whats included. I'm learning this the hard way at the moment!!

Reply to Some opinions/advice on pricing this 5 bedroom rewire would be helpful... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock