Discuss something is sucking my battery down!!!! in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jaysmooth77

Someone please help,i have a 99 f150 4.6 v8 and my guages went crazy one day,my lights
Went dim and then my truck died.so i thought is was alternator,i was wrong but i put a new alternator and new battery
On it anyways.(thank god for warrantys)something is still drianing my battery.i pulled radio to see if the people i bought
Truck from hooked it up correct,it has loose bare connections big time.will that cause a short that would drian battery?? Any body please help.

Hi dude,If the battery and alternator were replaced under warranty,did not the installers of said items,check for operation and issues?

How long does it take to "drain",what lights are functioning on the dash,what other indications are there,of problems?

Your bare wires,are more likely to cause fusing and melting issues,than a steady discharge,but it would depend on what they were,and what they contacted with.

you need a d.c. clamp meter, perferably with a resolution down to milliamps. clamp the main battery lead with everything turned off. then by pulling fuses one at a time, you may be able to trace the fault.

It was drianing over night and acouple times it happened while i was driving.i pull the radio fuse lastnight and this morning the battery was fully charged.Im not sure if that was the problem or its just taking longer to drian this time.

The fuse pulling method,is fine,if the drain is on a protected circuit. Some circuits will not be fused,such as starter,alternator etc,and some will be fused away from the main fuse boxes,or with resets,such as radios,electric windows/seats,heater plugs etc.

Too much reliance on electrics...me and my pal,had a Fordson Major that never had a starter motor...just had to park it up on the same hillock when done...:bow:

The fuse pulling method,is fine,if the drain is on a protected circuit. Some circuits will not be fused,such as starter,alternator etc,and some will be fused away from the main fuse boxes,or with resets,such as radios,electric windows/seats,heater plugs etc.

Too much reliance on electrics...me and my pal,had a Fordson Major that never had a starter motor...just had to park it up on the same hillock when done...:bow:

We had an Invicta roller that had a wind up starter motor. Not great for bump starting lol.

Reply to something is sucking my battery down!!!! in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock