Discuss Something you may have not known in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, about 2 months ago I was working on a rewire for a large property, and we had to have the DNO come out to upgrade the supply.

Whilst we were chatting, I asked him what the black stuff was dripping from the cable down the wall and he told me that it's the old bitumen melting from a loose connection in the service head. I was never taught this in college as its nothing to do with our work however it's a handy fact to know.

Just thought I would share that :)

Waiting for a tenant to get out of bed so I can start an EICR!
Jam, very common to see on older service cut-outs. As you have been told, a warm connection causes the tar to melt and run. That stuff is carcinogenic so use gloves if your thinking about handling parts covered in it.
PS there's lots they don't teach you in college!!

Waiting for a tenant to get out of bed so I can start an EICR!
Jam, very common to see on older service cut-outs. As you have been told, a warm connection causes the tar to melt and run. That stuff is carcinogenic so use gloves if your thinking about handling parts covered in it.
PS there's lots they don't teach you in college!!
Just had 4 hour drive to Bournemouth, now doing the same.

Hello, about 2 months ago I was working on a rewire for a large property, and we had to have the DNO come out to upgrade the supply.

Whilst we were chatting, I asked him what the black stuff was dripping from the cable down the wall and he told me that it's the old bitumen melting from a loose connection in the service head. I was never taught this in college as its nothing to do with our work however it's a handy fact to know.

Just thought I would share that :)
Well bugger me, and here's me always been under the impression it was liquorice. Well, every days a school day......

Those old heads also release the schmoo if they get overloaded, as per on each of my customers at the moment, they have a 200A TP intake just for their air-con which dribbles the black schmoo all over the floor each summer.

I have always reported leaky domestic heads where there appears to be more than a few tablespoons full down the cable and on the understairs carpet. Last DNO guy I had out said "Yeah I'll replace it seeing as I'm here, but these 100 year old cast iron heads can leak empty and they'll still be fine"
I wasn't really convinced to be honest.

Well bugger me, and here's me always been under the impression it was liquorice. Well, every days a school day......

Possibly one or two would like to .....maybe with a pineapple. :eek:
Come on the OP is or until recently was a trainee like we all were and thought he was posting something helpful and of interest, so sarcasm really isn't needed.

Reply to Something you may have not known in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net