Discuss sooo EPC's for part completed new builds with provisional SAP assessments? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Appologies if Ofgem have answered this in their guidance and I've missed it, but we've got an installation coming up on a new build very low energy house (not quite passif house standard, but not far off).

Anyway, we're going to be doing the solar PV installation significantly before the house would usually be complete enough to do an EPC, as for instance there is currently no gas supply connected, so there's no boiler installed yet.

The house has a SAP estimate completed which shows it should get a high B on the EPC when completed, but I'm unsure whether it would be accpetable to submit this with the FIT application, or submit an EPC at the point when the house actually accrues enough points to get a D rating?

Also, does anyone know if there are any time limits on the time allowed from the installation date to the date the FIT application is submitted?

any assistance appreciated.

Would be a pain in the arse if it had to be a valif full EPC once the house is fully complete and the installation was done a month or so before the July deadline and because the house wasn't fully finished enough to get an EPC of D then they missed the June 30th deadline therefore getting a lower FIT rate

IMO as all new builds have to meet energy efficiency requirements greater than a D rating it would they should be able to submit initial SAP calculations that prove if all measures are implemented it would easily meet the D rating requirements

Why not wait to issue the MCS cert till a time its ready, at the very worst they wont get paid for a month or twos generation?
the MCS cert has to be issued within 10 days of the installation I believe (think that's real guidance now).

Part of the issue relates to the timing of the installation within the build process, as we want to be doing it at first fix stage for ease of running cables etc. and while scaff and fall protection kit is available on site.

part of it is us wanting to get it installed while we're quiet as the customer is wanting to do it at the end of April, but probably won't have the house fully finished until the end of the summer as it's a self build.

I suspect the house will be good enough to get a D anyway if we did an EPC once the PV is on, but I'm just not sure how they could do it without any source of heating actually being present.

It appears to me that the government are doing all they can to hinder this industry, yet portraying themselves to the general public as still being the greenest government ever, I even have that in writing from the PM.

I am seriously doubting that there is a future in renewables, it will be interesting to see just how many companies cease trading in the next 6 months.

I think you're going to be out of luck. AFAICS the final EPC cannot be issued until the building is complete (i.e. at the time the builder asks BC for final sign-off) and it is this, not the predicted design EPC, that DECC say must be submitted.

A bit more info on EPCs and new builds here - http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/711723.pdf
hmm... I was thinking it would have to actually be an EPC.

I'm reading that document differently to you though, as I don't see anything saying that an actual EPC can't be produced before the building is fully completed, although obviously this isn't standard practice and I doubt many circumstances when this might have been needed would have been considered at the point when that guide was written.

I can't see why we can't get a full EPC completed at the stage when there is enough of the house complete to get us up to a D rating. It's already got the insulation in position, double glazed windows in, underfloor heating in etc. and I'm thinking that once the boiler, heating controls, lights etc are fitted that an EPC ought to be able to be produced that would give it a D or above.

A second EPC would then be needed for BC purposes at the point when the house is fully completed.

think a chat with our EPC assessor is in order, but I wanted to confirm that an EPC was needed and not just the predicted SAP assessment. Ta.

not sure on epc timings but if you install the pv, then lock off the isolators, you can take as long as you want sign it off, cause in theory it's not finished. that way you can install during first fix and even before the roof is done. we've done it loads of times, even before the dno has been to fit the meter. just get everything in place but lock it up so it can't be turned on.

the mcs police will probably tell me i'm wrong, but it is the safest and most cost efficent way of completing the install which we should all be striving to acheive.

Reply to sooo EPC's for part completed new builds with provisional SAP assessments? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net