Discuss sounder for domestic interlink smokes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ab1978

Morning
does anyone know where you can a sounder that you can wire into domestic smokes. reason being rewiring a flat above a shop that has interlink smokes but building control want a sounder fitting in hallway of flat so if shop smokes go off then tenants of flat will know. Looked on aico website but cant find just a sounder.

why not just all a smoke detector in the hallway. that will give you the sound and added fire protection.

as i read the OP the smokes are in flats above a shop. agree with you that the shop should have separate fire protection, but then again, if the shop has interconnected smokes with the flats, a fire in the shop would alert the tenants to get off their arses and get out.

Old story...domestic smokes are manufactured to BS5839 part 6, commercial alarms are to part 1, if theres a fire someones going to responsible....google "co-op fined £250k"
If aico smokes are fitted in the flat the use aico input unit off the fire alarm panel relay, and as previously stated use rc aico smoke in hall way

but each situation calls for different levels of protection. you wouldn't expect to fit a part 1 alarm system in a small corner shop.

Yes as it is a commercial shop, which serves the public. The be all and end all is, are you going to sign the design cert..?
personally i would pass the design cert back to who ever insists or states on fitting part 6 equipment and from experience they all run away including fire officers.

hi
the shop below is only 2 rooms. building control seem happy with the alarm system that was put in few years ago. the flat i'm doing above shop has been empty for 40 years just been used for storage, its only a small village shop. what building control ask for they can have.

Yes totally agree if building control are happy then let him sign it off........put 100% he wont, and will ask you to sign a design cert, then they will pass the buck back to you.....as stated before the be all and end all is who is going to take responsibilty for the Design cert.
I have been in this situation for over 20 years and nothing changes...You need a written specification from the fire officer and risk assessor, stating what is required, and to what catagory the system is to be installed to. Then and only then would i continue with the job, please reassess your insurance to cover imdenity...sounds like you may need it. Basic PL will not cover you. Conclusion cover yourself in writing and insurance.

Reply to sounder for domestic interlink smokes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net