Discuss southern ireland certification in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We are a NICEIC + ECA registered uk company we have some commercial contracts in southern ireland, i am just wondering what the implications are as in testing and obviously installation, i know we have to work to the NATIONAL RULES for ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS EDITION FOUR. Do our test sheets from uk cover work done here?

We do EICRs for a client in Southern Ireland and they are happy for us to test as per BS7671 and the Reports state this. As for installing you obviously have to follow their guidelines as you point out, do you have a copy of their Rules to see the Reporting format to see what they are like I wouldn't have thought they differ too much.

We are a NICEIC + ECA registered uk company we have some commercial contracts in southern ireland, i am just wondering what the implications are as in testing and obviously installation, i know we have to work to the NATIONAL RULES for ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS EDITION FOUR. Do our test sheets from uk cover work done here?
Absolutely not. BS7671 forms are not appropriate for ET101 installations!

Almost all domestic electrical installation work comes under Restricted Electrical Works which makes it a criminal offence for anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) - i.e. a RECI member - to carry it out.

We do EICRs for a client in Southern Ireland and they are happy for us to test as per BS7671 and the Reports state this.
The Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) may not take the same view as these are Controlled Electrical Works.

Good web site you got there. So the Periodics we do and it isn't many are at commercial sites so what does Controlled actually mean so I can look into it.

Good web site you got there. So the Periodics we do and it isn't many are at commercial sites so what does Controlled actually mean so I can look into it.
Controlled Works means that it does not have to be carried out by an REC - however if it is done by a non-REC then RECI will have to certify the work (for a fee of course). How this would work with a PIR I am not entirely sure - a phonecall or e-mail to RECI (the Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland) might be the best way to clarify this ([email protected]).

No problem. It depends whether certification is intended to include reporting. I would love to give you a definitive answer but I don't feel that I can.
No worries it has been very interesting, something to look into.

Many thanks for your replies.
What happened to free movement and trade in the EU?
would the test and certification be something you would be interested in, there are approximately 20 sites we are looking at.

Absolutely not. BS7671 forms are not appropriate for ET101 installations!

Almost all domestic electrical installation work comes under Restricted Electrical Works which makes it a criminal offence for anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) - i.e. a RECI member - to carry it out.
So would you say this method is well inforced?

Many thanks for your replies.
What happened to free movement and trade in the EU?
would the test and certification be something you would be interested in, there are approximately 20 sites we are looking at.
As for free movement I suppose that doesn't prevent a jurisdiction from having a regulatory scheme in operation - it just means that it is open to contractors from other countries too.

Sure if you send me some details about what it is I can let you know if I can cover it for you.

There was a prosecution not all that long ago which saw a non-REC receive six months' imprisonment (with none of the sentence suspended). The maximum penalty is a number of years imprisonment.

On a more practical level though anything requiring connection/reconnection by the DSO (ESB) will require a certificate to be issued which of course helps to enforce the legislation.

There was a prosecution not all that long ago which saw a non-REC receive six months' imprisonment (with none of the sentence suspended). The maximum penalty is a number of years imprisonment.

On a more practical level though anything requiring connection/reconnection by the DSO (ESB) will require a certificate to be issued which of course helps to enforce the legislation.

Do you know what the prosecution was for? Is it possible to prosecute someone purely for not obeying the rules, or does an incident have to occur for them to be prosecuted.

Do you know what the prosecution was for? Is it possible to prosecute someone purely for not obeying the rules, or does an incident have to occur for them to be prosecuted.
Three months was for carrying out Restricted Electrical Works despite being a non-REC and three months for falsely purporting to be an REC. The sentences were ordered to be served consecutively with no part suspended.

Reply to southern ireland certification in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net