Discuss Spanish Earth Road installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spanish_sunbeds

Hi,

Quick question, does anyone know if there is a different spec to the U.K. for earth rods?

I'm told in Spain they are longer but not sure if that is correct? Also are there any regs in Spain relating to the positioning of the rods etc (i.e. distance fro property)?

Any advice greatly appreciated as I am new to this forum. :)

There are myths and tales about different nationalities having varying average rod sizes, apparently the average size in Japan is smaller and the average size in some African countries is fabled to be enormous and also supposedly of a larger diameter. ;)

Seriously though, the specs of an earth rod are about its impedance which we refer to as its Ra measurement. In certain ground you need a longer rod to achieve a target impedance than in other types of ground. Factors such as moisture content, conductivity of the soil, overlapping zones of influence, whether the ground freezes and whether you hit the water table would affect how long and earth rod you would need. Also whether you are providing additional protection in the form of an upfront RCD would possible influence how low your rod impedance needs to be.

Last edited:
There are myths and tales about different nationalities having varying average rod sizes, apparently the average size in Japan is smaller and the average size in some African countries is fabled to be enormous and also supposedly of a larger diameter. ;).

Maybe the spanish fly will extend its potential and increase leakage to an acceptable level
:joker:

Back on topic I know little about Spains electical instalations so cannot advise sorry.

spanishrods need to be longer to achieve results as they sleep from 12 noon till 4 p.m.

Normally minimum specified by local council but you may have to put 4 in to get the required reading. The reading must be noted of the cert (Boliten) which needs to be issued by a registered Electrician. In on town where i work Spikes are 1.5m go up the road 3km and its 2m. Yes there are many regs regarding TT installs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every install has RCD protection Marvo. Also different rules for different comunidads (counties) the norm is 1.5mm just depends how many it takes to get decent Ra.
There are myths and tales about different nationalities having varying average rod sizes, apparently the average size in Japan is smaller and the average size in some African countries is fabled to be enormous and also supposedly of a larger diameter. ;)

Seriously though, the specs of an earth rod are about its impedance which we refer to as its Ra measurement. In certain ground you need a longer rod to achieve a target impedance than in other types of ground. Factors such as moisture content, conductivity of the soil, overlapping zones of influence, whether the ground freezes and whether you hit the water table would affect how long and earth rod you would need. Also whether you are providing additional protection in the form of an upfront RCD would possible influence how low your rod impedance needs to be.

Reply to Spanish Earth Road installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net