Discuss Spares / light switches from around 1966 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have some light switches to replace in a building constructed around 1966. Theres a few broken (just worn out) although they seem like they were built to last! Steel conduit runs inside the walls & this is relied on for the earth. Unfortunately it isn't a straight swap with a modern switch, the boxes in the walls are wider and slightly higher than a modern plate. The most crucial one is a two gang switch, (photo attached), but there are different switching arrangements around the school with some odd widths.

The manufacturer still exists and I have emailed them to check availability of spare modules (switches are grid type).
All the info off one of the worn out modules (these are porcelain and bolt into the yoke behind the top plate).
WANDSWORTH 5A 250V
VITREOUS
P290

Do any of you know of any suitable replacement switches on the market which would fit the hole in the wall! Unfortunately this was a flying visit and I didn't have a tape measure on me, i'll be going back next week.

Spares / light switches from around 1966 DSC_0180 - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks

I have some light switches to replace in a building constructed around 1966. Theres a few broken (just worn out) although they seem like they were built to last! Steel conduit runs inside the walls & this is relied on for the earth. Unfortunately it isn't a straight swap with a modern switch, the boxes in the walls are wider and slightly higher than a modern plate. The most crucial one is a two gang switch, (photo attached), but there are different switching arrangements around the school with some odd widths.

The manufacturer still exists and I have emailed them to check availability of spare modules (switches are grid type).
All the info off one of the worn out modules (these are porcelain and bolt into the yoke behind the top plate).
WANDSWORTH 5A 250V
VITREOUS
P290

Do any of you know of any suitable replacement switches on the market which would fit the hole in the wall! Unfortunately this was a flying visit and I didn't have a tape measure on me, i'll be going back next week.

View attachment 20679

Thanks

Wandsworth are, or certainly used to be a top end manufacturer favoured by architects on prestige projects and public buildings and the like. It's doubtful that you will find many wholesale outlets having even the latest designs, on an off the shelf basis!! I don't know of any other manufacturer that used this size of back boxes so no i don't think you'll find any other replacement switches... (it'll be the same for there socket outlet back boxes too!!)

Wandsworth are however pretty good in being able to supply replacements for most of their past ranges, though expect prices to be extortionate, compared with the usual standard good quality equivalents ...they were i might add, even when they were new!! lol!!

Id be questioning whether is is a suitable place for this switch i can clearly see water tracks on the R/H side of the switch .... mounting switches into tiles in rooms where humidity is a issue should e avoided.... if im correct here id be advising customer about the risks.

I use to watch CSI ;)

Id be questioning whether is is a suitable place for this switch i can clearly see water tracks on the R/H side of the switch .... mounting switches into tiles in rooms where humidity is a issue should e avoided.... if im correct here id be advising customer about the risks.

I use to watch CSI ;)

This is in changing rooms with showers, however the showers are no longer used (think I will ask for written confirmation), the building was apparantly inspected / tested by the local authority last month (stickers on boards to prove this) - and the staff presume that it was Satisfactory. HOWEVER! Not one of the consumer units is even labelled up (mix of original 1960s and some ~1980s) and there are no wallets with circuit schedules in etc. plenty of smashed conduit / trunking around, trunking lids missing, conduit box lids missing, etc. etc.

We are just taking over maintenance after their last electrician apparantly became unreliable, and I don't want to storm in making a big fuss about things that have been like that since the 1960s / passed off by the council.

Yep ... if showers still plumbed in and present then it should be assumed they can still be used unless obvious steps have been taken to ensure this will not happen. You can just swap the whole lot with a modern ultra flush fit stainless switch .... looks wise not much difference.

Cheers for advice. Maybe I can get a 2G IP arrangement which would cover the hole in the wall, then no need to look for spares or worry about whether the showers are disconnected!

Reply to Spares / light switches from around 1966 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock