Discuss Speeding ticket for van in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

To be fair, never seen a speed camera, mobile or otherwise on a single carriage road with national speed limits, always on derestricted road?

Edit; Cancel that, just remembered a static one on a road near me :oops:

Last edited:
And when you stick to 50mph on a 60 road you get idiots driving inches off your rear bumper! Will the average speed cameras get them?
No but the CCTV cameras on busy roads might .
Loads of people have been done for reading newspapers, on phones, in slow moving traffic.

Ps , actually they might , who knows what they have now.

mytake on the reason for the reduced limit is that with a fully laden van, your stopping distance is greater, so the 10mph slower limitcounteracts that.[/QUOTE/]

Years ago my mate got the 'Follow Me' van and taken to the local Ministry of Transport testing station.
His Transit van was down on one side a bit, the inspector asked him what he had in it , my mate said just tools, no building materials ; and he was telling the truth , although he did have an electric cement mixer in it . The rest was made up of all the usual hand tools,breakers, big hammers ,and the usual junk, much like we would carry to be honest.

Pretty sure a condition of being issued a driving license is that you regularly update your knowledge of the highway code. So the excuse that somebody wasn't aware falls foul of that general requirement.
Always worth picking up a current HWC and giving it a read through. A lot is changing in all sorts of areas and all drivers need to be across that.
I drive a motorhome so have been aware of the speed changes for some time. But of course its the fuel economy (or lack of) when you push it over 50 or 60. The white vans I see doing 80+ must be drinking fuel to save a few minutes on their journey time.

Pretty sure a condition of being issued a driving license is that you regularly update your knowledge of the highway code. So the excuse that somebody wasn't aware falls foul of that general requirement.
Always worth picking up a current HWC and giving it a read through. A lot is changing in all sorts of areas and all drivers need to be across that.
I drive a motorhome so have been aware of the speed changes for some time. But of course its the fuel economy (or lack of) when you push it over 50 or 60. The white vans I see doing 80+ must be drinking fuel to save a few minutes on their journey time.

not to mention the reduced engine life. rare i do more than 60 . nice steady 2500 rpm. diesel engine will do a million miles.

Can't see why more folks aren't aware of things like that. Too little care nowadays.

Not to mention, fully loaded vans and stability issues, poor rear view and that a lot of van drivers don't own their vans, and some drive like idiots, makes a good reason to limit their speeds.

Depends how fast you were going - you might get a speed awareness course, no points.

Someone I know was caught doing 43mph in a 30 zone and got a speed awareness course so 3 courses then points on the licence on the 4th time. I was caught doing 73mph on a dual carriage way and direct to points. No offer of speed awareness.

The speed awareness courses are carried out by private 'for profit' companies, acting for the local police force; not all offer such courses and your driving history is taken into account.

Money for old rope, but I suppose if it prevents 'points means prizes', it something :)

Speed Awareness Courses !
Get to meet the bikers , you normally only greet on bends !
(My old favourite road now has 50 limits , now I drive something that will do 60 up-hill ! )
( 50 = 55 maybe still ?)
... Savings include Fuel ,and tyres on roudabouts ...
... I'm sure the fuel prices will climb some more ,(rather than a saving)

Reply to Speeding ticket for van in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net