Discuss Split Boards! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cotty

Hi, I'm a Electrical Trainee, not long qualified to be a Domestic Installer. I have my 2382,2377 and EAL Level 2! The question is: I'm going to upgrade my mums electrics as there's no rcd and it's on the old re-wireable! My query is because the under floor heating is on a separate cu and economy 7! Can I put all circuits on a split rcd board or should I just leave the under floor board alone and just put a board in for the ring circuit etc??

leave the economy 7 board as is. fit dual RCD ( or RCBO) CU in place of the "normal" CU. what size are the tails, and what earthing system is it?

edit: are you going to use job for cps assessment?

I'd start by defining how many circuits there are...... and don't forget to review/upgrade/install bonding to the incoming water and gas....

also, it depends on which type of metering you have. if it's not a dual tarrif meter you couldd lose the ecomomy 7 for the UFH if you put those circuits into a combined CU.

haha. you should be on the stage........ the next one leaves in half an hour.

Leave the underfloor heating well alone, or bills could raise.
Do some testing BEFORE board change just incase there's an issue that the RCD wont like.
In the nicest way possible...a DB change is likely to take you a little while and wont leave much time for fault finding same day. (I have a DI working for me)
Check bonding and main tail sizes first. This is a notifiable job.

High possibility that circuit cables will not be long enough so be prepared to extend them.

Sorry all....not going to be so charitable.

OP - if that is your understanding of a 'split board', AFTER having done those various bits of paper, please please please please entrust the safety of your family, and others' families, to those who do actually understand because they've been trained properly. You know, like the bloke who installed that perfectly serviceable 3036 board thirty years ago that you're about to rip out for no particularly valid reason.....

Hi, I'm a Electrical Trainee, not long qualified to be a Domestic Installer. I have my 2382,2377 and EAL Level 2! The question is: I'm going to upgrade my mums electrics as there's no rcd and it's on the old re-wireable! My query is because the under floor heating is on a separate cu and economy 7! Can I put all circuits on a split rcd board or should I just leave the under floor board alone and just put a board in for the ring circuit etc??
I 2nd what telectrix said really. If however you do have a dual tariff meter (one meter with two line outputs) then I would suggest you do put the underfloor htg cct on the new DB as you will then add RCD protection to it.

OP - if that is your understanding of a 'split board', AFTER having done those various bits of paper, please please please please entrust the safety of your family, and others' families, to those who do actually understand because they've been trained properly. You know, like the bloke who installed that perfectly serviceable 3036 board thirty years ago that you're about to rip out for no particularly valid reason.....

The old 3036 be perfectly serviceable but a new DB offers more protection by means of RCD and that the OCPD can't have incorrectly rated fusewire installed.

The old 3036 be perfectly serviceable but a new DB offers more protection by means of RCD and that the OCPD can't have incorrectly rated fusewire installed.

And a new board installed by someone who doesn't know what they are doing increases the level of safety by how much, exactly?

Wow slow down now, whats this all about? before attempting to change the board test the circuits out in the house, you may find a can of worms there and end up in all sorts of trouble with appliances blowing the trip, borrowed neutrals and no CPCs in switch drops, I would be very careful before ripping anything out as you are inexperienced. Just take a deep breath and think about it first.

For heavens sake! He is not wiring the Channel Tunnel! It's simply a BOARD change in a domestic property - hardly rocket science. Most people of average intelligence and a basic knowledge of electrics from even a Reader's Digest or Collins DIY book would be able to wire a house and probably do it it a standard whcih would last '30 years' and more. Do not forget that many Electrical Trainee may have a good grasp of English, maths and physics from previous training/education and probably, a lot better than a lot of the no-hopers who were on my electrical courses. Get off your little-horse Rockingit and train for a more prestigious (and intellectually stimulating) career as a Rocket Scientist.

Reply to Split Boards! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net