Discuss Spur from Ring Final Circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gigsy

-
Reaction score
My last thread was taken down due to copyright reasons, I think it was because I scanned a page from the wiring regs and posted it.

Can anyone tell me if this circuit design conforms to regs?

Untitled.png

Will this alteration be getting tested and a certificate produced ?

My last thread was taken down due to copyright reasons, I think it was because I scanned a page from the wiring regs and posted it.

Can anyone tell me if this circuit design conforms to regs?

View attachment 34318
That's the only reason mate, Because it was the first post in the thread I couldn't delete the image without deleting the whole thread.

Nope alterations and additions do not need to be notified to building control so no certificate needed

The wiring regulations stipulate that all alterations are tested and certificated with the appropriate series of tests to verify safety. This is regardless of any need to notify work or not.

The wiring regulations stipulate that all alterations are tested and certificated with the appropriate series of tests to verify safety. This is regardless of any need to notify work or not.

Thank you for pointing that out. The wiring regulations are only advisory. I will take your comment into consideration. My main concern at the moment is getting the design correct :)

Thank you for pointing that out. The wiring regulations are only advisory. I will take your comment into consideration. My main concern at the moment is getting the design correct :)

Design is just advisory, crack on.

Design is just advisory, crack on.

I want the design to be safe, so I have decided to design it in accordance with BS7671 wiring regulations, my problem is I am not sure if this design conforms so I elected to consult the experts in this forum.

Mate, if you want advice and help on this forum best you take good advice and use it - if you don't then we can only assume you go to work on a horse

I want the design to be safe, so I have decided to design it in accordance with BS7671 wiring regulations, my problem is I am not sure if this design conforms so I elected to consult the experts in this forum.

If you really wanted it to be safe you would consider that testing of the circuit is the only real way to prove it will function without risk to life or property.

I'm not being obstructive here but you really need to be honest with the forum in order to get on. You have not filled in any of your profile so nobody knows your qualification level or work. I feel that you are a DIYer doing up your own home with no electrical qualifications. Am I correct ?

If you really wanted it to be safe you would consider that testing of the circuit is the only real way to prove it will function without risk to life or property.

I'm not being obstructive here but you really need to be honest with the forum in order to get on. You have not filled in any of your profile so nobody knows your qualification level or work. I feel that you are a DIYer doing up your own home with no electrical qualifications. Am I correct ?

You are correct. I am being honest, why do you think otherwise?

Mate, if you want advice and help on this forum best you take good advice and use it - if you don't then we can only assume you go to work on a horse

I do not own a horse? I am taking advice. I said thank you for pointing out the regs recommend testing.

You are correct. I am being honest, why do you think otherwise?

I can't help you anymore and nor should anyone else here. It would be professionally wrong of me to assist an incompetent person to do electrical work, especially when they have stated that they will pick and choose from the standard that our profession works to as it suits them.

I can't help you anymore and nor should anyone else here. It would be professionally wrong of me to assist an incompetent person to do electrical work, especially when they have stated that they will pick and choose from the standard that our profession works to as it suits them.

What do you mean help me anymore, you have not helped me at all. You are replying to a question in a DIY thread. What is the point in coming into a DIY thread and just saying I can't help you? Why even bother reading it if your attitude is to not help. My question was does my design comply to the regs. You asked am I having it tested and certified, paraphrasing, I said my work does not legally need to be tested or certified. That is just the law, people are allowed to do their own wiring in accordance with UK law, they only need to notify building control if they install a new circuit or install a consumer unit. Then they need to have their work tested and certified. I don't make up the rules, the government sets the law. You advised me that the wiring regulations advises I have any work tested, I said thank you for the heads up I will take it in to consideration. Can you tell me on what page BS7671 states minor works should be tested, I have not read that.

Are you saying if you do minor works on an installation, you then test and certify all your work? If so you are stealing money from your customers, because minor works only require a minor works certificate, minor works do not need to have an inspection and testing cert, therefore saying that the regs require all work to be tested is rubbish. You are simply making it up or you do not know the regs. To prove you know the regs, what page in BS7671 does it say that minor works need testing and certifying?

Are you saying if you do minor works on an installation, you then test and certify all your work? If so you are stealing money from your customers, because minor works only require a minor works certificate, minor works do not need to have an inspection and testing cert, therefore saying that the regs require all work to be tested is rubbish. You are simply making it up or you do not know the regs. To prove you know the regs, what page in BS7671 does it say that minor works need testing and certifying?

You seem confused. A minor works certificate and an installation certificate are both certificates. They are both required by BS7671 as described in sections 610.1 to 610.6

Please do not insinuate I am grabbing money from my customers without reason. If you understand the above sections then you will see I am only conforming to the regulations.

You seem confused. A minor works certificate and an installation certificate are both certificates. They are both required by BS7671 as described in sections 610.1 to 610.6

Please do not insinuate I am grabbing money from my customers without reason. If you understand the above sections then you will see I am only conforming to the regulations.

Are you saying you issue an inspection and testing cert for minor works?

You have not told me what page it states minor works requires an inspection and testing cert

Are you saying you issue an inspection and testing cert for minor works?

You have not told me what page it states minor works requires an inspection and testing cert
I issue appropriate certificates for the scope of the work completed. sometimes an installation certificate, sometimes a minor works certificate.
Section 610.4, and 610.6 pertain to the requirement for testing and inspection and certification of "minor works" as you call it.

Reply to Spur from Ring Final Circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net