Discuss Spur from Ring Final Circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

You don't have a clue m8, I am talking about the law. If you alter or add to a circuit there is no stipulation in law that you have to test the circuit, end of!

Just replying in case the OP wishes to log in as a guest and view the thread....

If you undertake any Electrical work you have a duty to ensure the work you do does not pose a risk to life or property be it your own of that of others and also the work is undertaken in a safe manner, the only way you can ensure the work is safe to energise is to firstly carry out a series of dead tests and then when confirmed and energised you need to clarify the Earth of the circuit and installation is adequate and has a low enough impedance to ensure the protective device will operate within a specified time if a fault was to occur on the circuit, failure to check this or meet the regulations may pose a fire risk, damage to the circuit and/or risk of a shock/fatality.
Our trusted members are therefore correct in stating you need to test your work, if you ever find yourself in court directly relating to electrical work you have carried out then you will need to provide documented evidence that you ensured your work was safe at the time of install, unfortunately the court will not take the argument that there is no stipulation in law for you to do so.
You are correct that there is no specific law saying you have to test but like I say, there are regarding that you have a duty to ensure any work you do is safe, only way to do this is testing, so the conclusion is, you have to test your work be it an addition, alteration or new circuit otherwise you cannot confirm the safety of the work/installation. Filling out a Certificate is what covers your --- otherwise its just your word and in the legal system this holds little ground without credible evidence.

Last edited:
I guess we wish him all the very best with his career. Entertaining at the least!

He's just on a short break to reflect, hopefully when he returns he will take onboard the advice given and show a little more respect to those trying to help him.

Ill close the thread for the time, as the OP is on a break, if he wishes it re-opened on his return then we will be happy to oblige.

Reply to Spur from Ring Final Circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net