Discuss Spur under bath allowed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

My bath hasn't leaked and mastic failed (fingers now crossed :eek:) in the years it has been installed, so if needed I would install an electrical wiring system underneath it, if that was the only option. I'm not quite sure how majority of controls for CH systems would be installed, if close proximity was not acceptable.

Just saying.

PS; I can give tips on applying bath sealant :)

Sounds like you luckily have a well installed bath! The quality of the bath, i.e thickness and construction can make a difference along with the quality of the sealant. Also when we install baths we support all the edges with timber so that any movement between the bath and tile is eliminated.
Most cheap baths are crap construction and so thin they flex all over the place. They also come with 2 poxy angle brackets to fix and support them in place. You would spend a life time re-sealing these unless you fitted them properly to a supporting frame.

Going back to my point, what about the luminaires in the floor below the bath, how do we protect them from leaking baths?

NO, it just plan Logic isn't.

If you place a Fused spur under a sink or a bath you must give consideration to the proximity of the water service , its very unlike that a water pipe will spontaneously bust, (but possible) its more likely a plumber/ home owner will work on the pipe thinking he/she has isolated it..... and getting a surprise!, or the sink or bath seals leaking to the area below.

But we give these consideration because past experience has told us sh*t Happens sometimes.
In either of these case you could easily say an IP56 rated fused spur would be required. which is different to must be required.
Given the Photo I would of installed an IP rated box mount under the Bath accessible from the Front cover, without having to lub up an apprentice and throw him in there to do any final terminations we've missed before the plumber ruined my day by installing his bath.

To take it to the level and say well what about the light fitting if a pipe burst or leaks in a floor void is never going to be an electricians fault, that's just bad luck and not reasonably foreseeable, unlike a fused spur installed flush mounted on a wall with a bath above it and its only protection from a bath most likely to be wet when in use is some mastic....... that will leak at some point and is reasonably foreseeable in my option.

Its just Design chaps which = commonsense! ... no?

So with that concept or idea;

'plumber/ home owner will work on the pipe thinking he/she has isolated it..... and getting a surprise!, or the sink or bath seals leaking to the area below.
But we give these consideration because past experience has told us sh*t Happens sometimes',

then sockets installed under kitchen sinks should be suitably IP rated, controls for CH systems (including pumps & valves) should be suitable IP rated, and even the good old immersion heater switch and element head, should suitably IP rated.

I've seen many a wet boiler system, with FCU and programmer installed adjacent, should these be suitably IP rated?

Sounds like you luckily have a well installed bath! The quality of the bath, i.e thickness and construction can make a difference along with the quality of the sealant. Also when we install baths we support all the edges with timber so that any movement between the bath and tile is eliminated.
Most cheap baths are crap construction and so thin they flex all over the place. They also come with 2 poxy angle brackets to fix and support them in place. You would spend a life time re-sealing these unless you fitted them properly to a supporting frame.

Arrgh I see, I installed it in the correct way then, using timber battens.

Done something right for once :)

PPS; as the home owner in this particular example, as well about worrying about the liquid dripping onto my FCU's, I would be keen to rectify the cascade ruining the rest of my property. As it has been suggested, there is a possible solution. :)

My pet hate - bath panels that are stuck on with mastic/take adhesive etc . And no I do t have electrics under my bath. I have a room under my bathroom but no electrics under my bath . The electric refs seem a bit lax if that is the case. And before you continue doing your own plumbing, I'd get a professional in I know how rough you sparks are
ok game set and match.

I put my bath in some ten years ago, mastic has remained intact, and no leaks between bath and wall. Just saying :)

Going back to my point, what about the luminaires in the floor below the bath, how do we protect them from leaking baths?

I have just had my post rated as 'dumb' 'disliked' by Amqcumbria, which is his/her prerogative. But when this member has no activity or postings, I do find it a bit bizarre. Perhaps you would like to post a comment Amqcumbria instead?

Went to a job today and there was a salamander shower pump plugged into a single socket under the bath,running the bath ,the shower the basin the kitchen sink and comes on even if the bog being flushed ..trouble is it is intermittently not switching itself off when the water is not running .seems to be getting worse (I am surprised it lasted this long)..not an easy job to change the pump but thats another story.I may just run away from this one!
Question is ...is a socket allowed under a bath or not,it is behind a panel held on with silicone ..I read somewhere that if a tool is needed to remove the panel then its outside the zones so allowed but can some kindly soul show me where in the regs book it actually says this as I want to read it with my own eyes.

Went to a job today and there was a salamander shower pump plugged into a single socket under the bath,running the bath ,the shower the basin the kitchen sink and comes on even if the bog being flushed ..trouble is it is intermittently not switching itself off when the water is not running .seems to be getting worse (I am surprised it lasted this long)..not an easy job to change the pump but thats another story.I may just run away from this one!
Question is ...is a socket allowed under a bath or not,it is behind a panel held on with silicone ..I read somewhere that if a tool is needed to remove the panel then its outside the zones so allowed but can some kindly soul show me where in the regs book it actually says this as I want to read it with my own eyes.
701.32.3 if accessible only with use of a tool outside of zones.
However 701.512.3 states that 230V socket outlets are only permitted a distance of >=3m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1.
Therefore even if it is outside the zones a socket outlet is probably still not permitted as it is (possibly) within the bathroom and closer than 3m to the edge of zone 1.

Thanks guys , I know that it is not quite right but feel that it is open to interpretation if one reg contradicts another, from a legal standpoint if somebody for whatever reason was to get injured as a result of this socket would the duty holder be able to hold the electrician responsible for the accident and also would the electrician have a defence in quoting the reg 701.32.3
I am still not sure whether it is allowed by the regs or not

Last edited:
I would say that a socket under a bath where the area is only accessible by the use of a tool would not be allowed as sockets are not allowed within 3m of zone 1.
If there were a fused spur, switch or such like that is not a socket and the area under the bath is only accessible by the use of a tool then this would be allowed.
If the area under the bath is accessible without tools then the rules for zone 1 apply and only 25Vac or less SELV circuits and the specific items listed in 701.55 are permitted.

I would say that a socket or spur concealed behind a bath panel which is ONLY accessible by use of tools is OK.......

That said such a position shouldn't use a socket or fused spur as its inaccessible... so that is more of an issue.

If you were doing an EICR you wouldn't know it there unless there is a big label to say where it is.

An FCU (switched or unswitchd) is allowed under a bath or shower, if that space is only accessible by use of a tool.
I would agree that a socket would not be allowed, as it is within 3m of the edge of zone 1.
However some at the IET disagree, in particular Richard Townsend who is a senior engineer in the Standards and Compliance department.

Reply to Spur under bath allowed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net