Discuss spurs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Having re-read the OP, I'm not sure we're talking about a ring....

"what is maximum amount of spur sockets taken from a main , the main amperage can be changed easily the wiring is 2.5 and a ring main is not possible without a lot of work as this is a large old house which has been wired this way"

I think he's talking radial.

Interesting you could well be right. With main I assumed ring main.
If it is a radial then spurs are not possible, only branches, which are also unlimited though again recommended to be minimised (I think).
A 20A radial could be run all over the place without overloading a 2.5/1.5 mm² cable, though a large house circuit may experience nuisance tripping.

Appendix 15 is two pages. One on rings and one on radials. There's no reference to number of spurs off a ring.
You are correct it doesn't, but the OSG is what it is a guide BS7671 is a regulation and imo if someone is in doubt about something, the OSG is where to go and look.

You are correct it doesn't, but the OSG is what it is a guide BS7671 is a regulation and imo if someone is in doubt about something, the OSG is where to go and look.
OK, your choice.

It's a bit odd that the OSG adds a requirement that isn't present in the regs. My guess is that it's a hangover from the 15th edition and the writers of the OSG haven't noticed that the requirement has been removed from the regs.

OK, your choice.

It's a bit odd that the OSG adds a requirement that isn't present in the regs. My guess is that it's a hangover from the 15th edition and the writers of the OSG haven't noticed that the requirement has been removed from the regs.
So are you saying that as an example 10 sockets in a RFC you can't have 10 sockets as unfused spurs?

No. I'm saying you can have as many unfused spurs on a ring as you like, irrespective of the number of sockets on the ring. I believe that this complies with the current regs.
Yes Handy I can see where you are coming from now, well you live and learn

Reply to spurs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net