Discuss Stainless Steel 20mm Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

Got some stainless conduit to do in the next few weeks,

I was wondering anyone with experience with this...

I mean have you used your normal stock and die for threading? Maybe a fresh die if its getting a bit old in the tooth? Plenty of cutting compound of course, was just wondering as I imagined it being a bit of a pig. Any other help would be great.

Cheers
WS

I beleive you have to use SS dies and SS cutting compound. From what I understand it is really hard to get a straight cut by hand. I think you should hire a portable electric die cutter or you are going to be struggling. Again it depends on the hardness and how annealed it is as well. I might be tempted to get it cut and threaded in an engineering workshop if you know what sizes you want.
If you work on it too hard you get galling where the die sticks to the steel.
Is this for food or hospital things? Would be interested to hear how you get on with it though. Galv is bad enough!

We install quite a bit of s/steel conduit and TBH we generally use the normal steel dies for hand made threads unless we're doing big installations where we set up a motorised thread cutter. As you mentioned lots of cutting fluid and be careful of the swarf, it's sharp as ----!!.

I always order a couple of lengths of galv to practice on before hand, 20mm electrix isn't cheap.

I've always used normal dies too but as mentioned, it you get carbon steel on the stainless you'll end up with rust stains developing.

Lube is key...as ever.

SS Dies and Rubber Clamp set for the Hilmore especially if bending is involved otherwise you peel the stainless coating off. Bending is a lot harder. Hope you got an able bodied apprentice with you.

I've used stainless that discolour scratches or peels a nice shiny layer off if bent incorrectly. Like black enamel used too.
That sort of defeats the purpose of using stainless! Not something I've experienced. For the small bits we do, a standard quality die seems to work fine, certainly didn't notice any problems.

That sort of defeats the purpose of using stainless! Not something I've experienced. For the small bits we do, a standard quality die seems to work fine, certainly didn't notice any problems.

Ok so I'm guessing your implying that I've not used it before "As this defeats the purpose" I'm only stating the issues we had when using it. That was British Rail project numerous years ago.

Ok so I'm guessing your implying that I've not used it before "As this defeats the purpose" I'm only stating the issues we had when using it. That was British Rail project numerous years ago.
I mean stainless is often used in food etc. production areas as it's easy to clean and flaky bits don't come off it unlike galv or b/e.

Reply to Stainless Steel 20mm Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net