Discuss Standard format for numbering switches/sockets etc? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Probably displaying my ignorance here, but coming back to the factory following a power outage over the break and finding that most stuff is not connected to the expected breakers (fantastic certification job - not by somebody I won't name here)
- Is there such a thing as a standard format for numbering/identifying of switches/sockets etc for DB number/cct/phase etc. as I really would like to get everything identified properly and might as well try to do it in a recognised format if there is such a thing.

Appreciate any advise please.

Is this a Domestic install? as I doubt a householder would appreciate DY MO labels stuck all over the nice brushed alum sockets and switches

Don't think there is a recognised format. I never rely on a label stuck to a socket but it can lead you to the correct DB.

In my limited experience, from what I have seen in hospitals and schools it has always been the Db/circuit number/phase.

Pete - apologies for dropping you in it there ;-)

and thanks guys for the quick answers - DB/cct/phase it is then.

Probably me just a bit OCD but think it is nice to have everything numbered up properly.
Is also helpful to look for loads to move if one phase is getting a bit marginal

The sparks that did the last Cert seem to have just copied what was there before word for word which would have been ok if it hadnt been changed considerably in between :rolleyes:

fwiw and just for your amusement - daughter's just moved into her first house, complete with electrical certificate, house of horrors or what, new kitchen with new sockets cringe - nuff said, all new aluminium switches/sockets everywhere, not a grommet in sight, wires twisted together and wrapped in tape, L &N swapped to the electric shower (apparently it never worked according to previous owner - well there's a thing, bundle of cables just hanging under the stairs , shudder - stuff like this makes you realise why Part P was introduced, although in this case a complete rewire is more like. CU surprisingly did have full set of RCBOs though. More than a little confused as to what a domestic "electrical certificate" means - probably 50 quid and run in this case.

Reply to Standard format for numbering switches/sockets etc? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net