Discuss Star delta testing help needed in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Fair enough it's still not the starter

Just an example.
One panel I installed over 30 years ago controlling 4 x 15kw motors via s/d starters. In all those years the motors have all been changed just once with the odd bearing change, whilst I would say that at least 25 contactors have needed changing with contact damage due to load.

It's switching over and it will run for a while sometimes a few hours and then trip. It's running a vac pump. Just need to know how to test winding from the panel as the motor box is not easily accessible.

Are you talking IR or resistance testing
It's switching over and it will run for a while sometimes a few hours and then trip. It's running a vac pump. Just need to know how to test winding from the panel as the motor box is not easily accessible.
Are you talking IR or winding resistance testing

It could be a multitude of things, does the motor sound ok? rumbling or knocking noises could indicate bearings/ alignment problems, check the supply voltage at the panel (line to line and line to earth) then from there visually check for bad/burning connections ( does the panel smell of burning when first opened up?) then carry out all the dead testing checking contact resistance on all poles of the contactors not forgetting to check the resistance of the overloads themselves. Check that the resistance of the motor windings from the panel are balanced if not check at the motor terminals.

I've just seen that it's a vac pump, when these start to fail they can become very noisey (sticking or broken blades) and at the same time take longer to reach the preset vacuum (this can checked by asking the operator if they have noticed any changes).

I'm going for mechanical fault (or lack of maintenance) on the vacuum pump. Oil and filter candles need changing. Just a complete guess but as I can't see it, hear it, or test it I'm just having fun guessing.

Check at the main contactor and the delta contactor not forgetting the o/l unit. Identify the windings U1 start and finish U2, V1 & V2 and finally W1 & W2, these should have the same value, don't be surprised at the very low impedance readings. Also check for leakage to earth from U, V and W. Don't forget to check the input voltage.
If all above are present and correct including what was said in #24, then it's almost certain a mechanical problem.

Last edited:
make sure all the contacts in the contactors are making . you might be losing a phase

Reply to Star delta testing help needed in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock