Discuss Start Up Costs in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jaydub

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this may have been posted before so sorry if that is the case, but...

Thinking of starting up by myself and I'm trying to calculate the average costs involved in starting up, followed by the on-going annual costs.

I will be setting up as a sole trader and do not wish to grow the business to anything more than I can handle by myself, I'm not out to make my first million, just want a nice, steady income and something I can call my own and enjoy / stress over!

So far, I've got this for annual costs:

Average accountancy cost: £300-600
ECS gold card: £36
Napit membership: £360
Tester calibration: £40
Public liability: £75
Van tax: £220
Van Insurance: £400-600
Business banking: £84

Start up costs (I already have my own van and most tools as I work for another sparky at the moment):

ECS gold: £48 (for your first one)
Drill set (good one, previously supplied): £360
Tester (previously supplied): £400 average
Public liability: £75
18V SDS: £140
230V SDS: £110
Steps: £50
Tall ladder: £120
Accountant: £300-600
Van tax: £220
Van insurance: £400-600
Banking: Free for first year or so

Any help, advice or criticism perfectly welcome! I'm trying to be as calculated about this as possible before I go for it as it's something you need to be fully committed to, otherwise I'll just go work for E-on fitting smart meters for £25K a year hassle free haha

Cheers!

£500 per month ........

And you will need cash in the bank to tide you over when you get later payers....

Based on the last 7 years. You need to consider the other costs you will incur..... Such as fuel for vehicle and repairs for a start. A new laptop every 4 or 5 years. Certificate software......

Take a look at the business section on this forum....

And don't forget you won't work 5 days per week, 48 weeks a year, and that you don't get paid for holidays, bank holidays, sickness, doing admin, visiting clients..... The list goes on and on....., No pension...

My current boss has only just started to pay me holiday pay (even though I am on the books) because 'he didn't realise' until 3 years in that he needs to! He's not a great employer, lets put it that way, so I will be moving on somewhere, someway...

My current boss has only just started to pay me holiday pay (even though I am on the books) because 'he didn't realise' until 3 years in that he needs to! He's not a great employer, lets put it that way, so I will be moving on somewhere, someway...

You need to get him to pay you the holiday pay he owes you. 20 days per year plus bank holidays if he didn't pay those either.

Didn't know.... My arse

If your predict income of 30k+ per year think about going limited. Its little bit more admin but its worth it in long run. And if anything goes wrong its the company takes the blame not you.
Also cash flow is very important especially at the beginning...

£8 and hour
Hmm, above minimum wage for your age and understandable seeing as you are not a qualified electrician yet, but still not great.

I can see the reason behind your desire for better things. Do you know what wage you will be on when qualified ? Going it alone calls on many areas of skill and it will be a real struggle if you are lacking in diverse experience.

Reply to Start Up Costs in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock