Discuss Start Up Costs in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

That is a tight old deal you are on there jaydub. I suppose it depends on where in the country and availability of adult trainees ect.

Y
That seems expensive?! £6000 a year? Why/how?
You will have vehicle insurance,fuel and maintenance,you will have to replace tools that you have lost/been stolen,you will need to eat as well so you will need money for food and home costs,every cert you send to your scheme provider will have to be paid for,you may want/need to purchase literature or software to keep your business up to date and competitive,how many pairs of snickers a year will you need at £70 a time,the spending goes on and on and on

i agree with murdoch on the estimate of costs. when you add it all up, £100/week is about right for a 1 man business. to start with your weekly fuel bill for your van/car will be £30-£50, depending on mileage. don't forget that you can simplify your tax return by logging business mileage each month and claiming 45p/mile (for 1st 10,000. 25p thereafter) in tax relief to cover all vehicle expenses.

I was in a similar position about 2 years ago. Thankfully I already had a good selection of tools and organisers etc however even now I keep buying new bits. Cash flow is one of the hardest things to manage when you start off. To be an efficient you'll need to keep a good range of stock on your van which soon builds up. My overheads work out at roughly £20-25 per day.

Will you not have a mate? Or are you only looking at small jobs initially? As Tomsparks said, you'll need a small stock at least if you don't want to be running about to get bits on every other job.

Reply to Start Up Costs in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net