• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Starting your own business in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
L

Liam murphy

Hi, I'm looking for some advice pls, a work mate and myself are thinking of setting up on our own and wondered which was the best way to go about things with regards registering with the nic/ elecsa, what different governing bodies want from you to be registered,etc, we're both electricians and feel this is a good time to have a try on our own, any advice would be very welcome, thanks, Liam P.

dont do it i have run an electrical business for over 10 years i have around 7 staff and lots of work , but as our industry is the paper work is overwhelming, waiting for money , working as an electrician in the day and a secretary at night. then builders bump you etc , if you are good sparks earning between 25 and 35 k a year with your life your own stay where you are !

hi guys key is don't get into debt over it pay your suppliers on time keep them on your side as Oliver said waiting for invoices to be paid worst thing is getting bumped off try and get payment for parts up front or at least a % as this would soften the blow.
NIC EIC is a good way to go but yet some customer's don't fully understand its your power.
paper work try and get as much help from people you trust hard on your own tho 12-15 hrs work I run my own company plus a full time job.

If you can try it slowly or part time for a year and see how you feel. That is what I am doing and if it doesn't work after I have got my start up costs back then i will jack it in.

I am looking forward to the challenge and hope to make it work, thankfully i don't need not to pay the bills so it is not critical for me.

Best of luck.

Advice I would give is don't form a partnership. Just set up on your own. In my experience they very rarely work in this industry. Its tough enough making it work when you know what you wanna do without having to constantly compromise over every decision (which is what happens, its like a relationship). Also as someone else said don't think getting into debt is a good idea or even necessary.

Reply to Starting your own business in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net