Discuss Storage Heaters and Consumer units with Split RCD.s in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Silver6003

Hi
So I've a project coming up where I need to Move a Fuseboard which is Split On peak with One rcd for The Flat ring and off peak Storage heaters . no rcd . Its Dated 2001 so the fuseboard will need to be replaced With a split board with 2 rcd's for on peak Power and lights etc . I've a few new circuits to install too ! maybe 2 Shower circuits . The incoming is a 4 core 25mm2 SWA
I've informed by client a new Kitchen ring and cooker supply will need to be installed
Also the old part of the kitchen which is incorporated in the flat ring .....there is no separate Kitchen Ring....be re routed and rewired so it becomes a Flat ring with Kitchen ring .
My query is The Storage Units .
My initial thoughts are that a separate Fuseboard be installed for the off peak Heating with there own seperate mcb's . So Does it need to be a split RCD board Or Just one fuseboard controlled with a single rcd . ?
I'm sure I'm not the first sparks to have come across this ?
So I'd rather take advice from the men who Do it rather than write the books
See my 17th edition mind and My insurance says .......Better to be over safe .
Thoughts and advice please Ta
Silver6003

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think you should do? Have you called your schemes technical support line?

I've no idea who My schemes Is . I've only seen this Job on Monday .
So I need to talk to my client to get the Provider's number and then Speak to their Technical Support
It was this course of action I really did not want to take
I came here for advice .
So it looks like that's my next avenue then ok
Thanks

I've no idea who My schemes Is . I've only seen this Job on Monday .
So I need to talk to my client to get the Provider's number and then Speak to their Technical Support
It was this course of action I really did not want to take
I came here for advice .
So it looks like that's my next avenue then ok
Thanks

Scheme = CPS = Competent Persons Scheme = Elecsa / NICEIC / Stroma / Napit - you are planning to do notifiable work, so surely you are a member?

Sure - but its a 2 way street - you know, give and take.

A separate board for off peak sounds like a good plan.
For a single RCD on this board you would loose all heating in the flat on a single fault which could be very uncomfortable.
As it is a flat and so presumably only a few heaters, an all RCBO board may be the easiest (but not cheapest) answer.
If there are lots of heaters then a split load board with the heaters from adjacent areas on different RCDs might be better.
Ensure there is double pole switching on all the heaters so they can be separated from the circuit.

A separate board for off peak sounds like a good plan.
For a single RCD on this board you would loose all heating in the flat on a single fault which could be very uncomfortable.
As it is a flat and so presumably only a few heaters, an all RCBO board may be the easiest (but not cheapest) answer.
If there are lots of heaters then a split load board with the heaters from adjacent areas on different RCDs might be better.
Ensure there is double pole switching on all the heaters so they can be separated from the circuit.

Yep That's what I was thinking
A board with seperate RCBO's
I know its not going to be cheap but hey I've a good relationship with a Store Manager who works for the Sponsor !!!.
Always pays to get on with a big store manager I think
People skills half the way to get on in business
Thanks for your advice

Reply to Storage Heaters and Consumer units with Split RCD.s in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock