Discuss Strange activation with pir in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HiHave fitted a stienel pir on the back of a brick pillar to control some lights on drive way.
Tested during daytime by walking by and driving van by all ok.
Customer rang to say doesn't work when he drives by (warm car ) but works if you walk by.
I went down last night and can confirm what he says is right.
Has anyone experienced this or can shed any light on it.
Sorry won't be in tonight to answer any questions.
Thank for your help

Yes.
I had a customer who complained that a PIR would pick up her husbands car but not hers....! If tweaking the angle of the sensor or sensitivity adjustment (if there is one) doesn't work then there's not a lot that can be done, it's just a characteristic of the PIR. I think some clients expect too much of PIR's, there are so many variables to affect the performance which just have to be accepted.

Don't forget it needs to track a moving heat source, if the car is cold and just started up it will struggle to see it, also some vehicles are pretty well insulated and can be hard to pick up.

Sounds like one of the cars has a sound insulated bonnet and maybe a less visible radiator and the other hasn`t or is less insulated. Sometimes get similar results.

Just one more thing: this was with a new Stienel too. I recently replaced an identical one and did all the tests that you have done , except the car headlights. I got a similar call from the customer that the lights were not coming on after dark.
I had set the lux level exactly the same as the one I had removed: Identical unit , but obviously younger.
There was a small private sodium type lamp on a neighbouring property keeping it off, yet the original had worked perfectly at this setting.

Reply to Strange activation with pir in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net