Discuss Strange RCD Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It crossed my mind and I tested one suspect socket but all was good.

I guess I should add, amidst trying to solve this mystery fault Im also trying to deal with the daily running of my business.

Taking around 20 calls per day, replying to around 30 texts, responding to around 15 emails, Keeping employees in check and constantly thinking other jobs through makes it hard to devote my full attention to the fault for any length of time. Im quite confident, but its quite possible Ive missed something silly during testing....so double checks this week.

Not to mention, Im visiting 2/3 customers after hours to quote, followed by a few hours paperwork before bed.

Im sure there are plenty posters in this thread with successful businesses but Im also quite positive there are many whom will not appreciate how it is to manage a business , nor never will.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi mate
You seem more intent in telling us how your business is booming then actually starting from scratch and carrying out all the methodical tests required to trace this fault.
Im not for one minute saying its a piece of cake to find and i have gone round in circles many times tracing out faults but i personally could not leave the premises until i found it that same day just because it would bug the hell out of me.
I would actually say your business could soon be pretty floored if you cant handle a electrical fault on one premises!!!

Thats the point pal, Im pretty confident that 1k will stay firmly in my pocket....and yes I am loaded :p

I am also a man of my word, I will pay that primarily as I don't have the time for it now and secondly because I know the CAUSE of this fault won't be found in a day.

Anyway, I have 8 quotes to do today, 2 vans and a car to wash, a nasty cold AND a hangover,this thread is distracting me. If anyone has anything constructive then please post :)

You certainly are !!!

When it comes to getting paid for this job , I would take Alan Pardew with you , just to sort any problems out with the customer , gentle persuasion is a good thing ….lol,,,

Thats the point pal, Im pretty confident that 1k will stay firmly in my pocket....and yes I am loaded :p

I am also a man of my word, I will pay that primarily as I don't have the time for it now and secondly because I know the CAUSE of this fault won't be found in a day.

Anyway, I have 8 quotes to do today, 2 vans and a car to wash, a nasty cold AND a hangover,this thread is distracting me. If anyone has anything constructive then please post :)

JRC this is not a dig but instead of doing the above maybe you should be at the customers with your test gear, you say that you cant devote too much time to this fault due to your busy schedule, but sometimes you have to switch your phone off and deal with the customer and their problem until it is resolved. A business can take years to build but can be destroyed in no time at all / remember you are sometimes only remembered for your last mistake. I get the impression from nearly all your post's that you are trying to do too much to fast, slow down and take care of the customers that you have 1st before you chase after new ones.

Seems like a big insulation for one RCD even if it just covered half the circuits! Have you thought about RCBO's? Sorry if I'm repeating any one the thread is 13 pages long so I haven't read it all.

Seems like a big insulation for one RCD even if it just covered half the circuits! Have you thought about RCBO's? Sorry if I'm repeating any one the thread is 13 pages long so I haven't read it all.

HA HA HA classic , sorry Corpy but if you had read all the thread you would know why that as just given me a proper belly laugh

Excellent, 1k is on the table pal....

I can't believe how people are confident in finding this without even seeing the installation! Either very naive or incredibly fast while incredibly superhuman.

Ill stand by this, I could really be doing without this hassle Ive inherited as I have a ton of work kicking off. If any spark wants to solve this ( in one day ) and can provide an invoice. Ill pay 1k...

Takers ?

I can think of quite a few electricians here on this forum (including myself) that could and would be able to find the cause of your tripping RCD problem, and it wouldn't take them a whole day to do so either. No they are not ''superhuman'', and it's not rocket science either, it's just a matter of knowing what they are doing and why. There is nothing out there, that can take the place of experience. That experience combined with methodical intelligent fault finding, will ALWAYS lead to the fault being found, ...or at least to a localised location where access is severely limited!!

For someone that claims to conduct as many rewires and the like as yourself, how the hell have you got by without a leakage clamp in your test kit...

May i suggest this model from our forum sponsor, that has specifications equal too or better than other leakage clamp meters available at much higher costs. You'll also get a 5% discount from our sponsor too!!

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/tm-el9809-earth-leakage-clamp-meter/

So it wasnt the leaf flapping about that was causing the rcd to trip out then???
Thats normally first thing i check is the flapping leaf.
When customer says to me i have a fault the first thing i ask is have you plugged in a flapping leaf lately or got one blowing about in your consumer unit???

JRC this is not a dig but instead of doing the above maybe you should be at the customers with your test gear, you say that you cant devote too much time to this fault due to your busy schedule, but sometimes you have to switch your phone off and deal with the customer and their problem until it is resolved. A business can take years to build but can be destroyed in no time at all / remember you are sometimes only remembered for your last mistake. I get the impression from nearly all your post's that you are trying to do too much to fast, slow down and take care of the customers that you have 1st before you chase after new ones.

I appreciate your advice, People say Im going to fast but in all honesty Im not here to "make a living" from a relatively successful electrical contracting company. Im aiming much much higher. Im not going to get there by taking one customer at a time.

Anyway Ive instructed Mods to close my account. To many threads on here wrongly portrait the OP as incompetent, not just mines. Ill no doubt start another account but certainly not with my company name on it ! lesson learned !

Reply to Strange RCD Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock