Discuss Stroma assessment tomorrow!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning all.
I have my first stroma assessment tomorrow not really to sure what to expect but going through my EIC with i fine tooth comb this morning. can any one explain what is meant by

Protection against electromagnetic effects where cables enter ferromagnetic enclosures

in seclude of inspected items (section 7) consumer unit?

Thanks in advance

P.S any other advice would be gratefully appreciated.

The conductors of each circuit should enter through the same hole of a ferrous enclosure.

So for example, if you consider the tails, they should pass together through a single orifice in the consumer unit. If this doesn't happen, it is possible that a magnetic field between the two will induce eddy currents in the enclosure causing localised heating.

At the current levels in domestic, this is fairly minimal (John Ward did a video about this on YouTube and demonstrated what happens when they pass through different orifices) but the regs are the regs.

Worth pointing out, the CPC and earth in the case of tails, should also go through the same hole.

As for other advice... I suspect you have a check list of things they are going to want to see. Get a folder, some plastic envelopes that clip in the folder and get all your documentary evidence (qualification certificates, proof of insurance, health and safety policy, Part P and anything else they want you to have) in it and have it ready so it is to hand. Speeds things up nicely. If you don't have a H&S policy, hit the Health and Safety Executive's website, they have a simple template you can adopt. There is also a requirement to have the health and safety poster on display (if you have employees), but I just grabbed a printable on and stuck that in the folder.

The conductors of each circuit should enter through the same hole of a ferrous enclosure.

So for example, if you consider the tails, they should pass together through a single orifice in the consumer unit. If this doesn't happen, it is possible that a magnetic field between the two will induce eddy currents in the enclosure causing localised heating.

At the current levels in domestic, this is fairly minimal (John Ward did a video about this on YouTube and demonstrated what happens when they pass through different orifices) but the regs are the regs.

Worth pointing out, the CPC and earth in the case of tails, should also go through the same hole.

As for other advice... I suspect you have a check list of things they are going to want to see. Get a folder, some plastic envelopes that clip in the folder and get all your documentary evidence (qualification certificates, proof of insurance, health and safety policy, Part P and anything else they want you to have) in it and have it ready so it is to hand. Speeds things up nicely. If you don't have a H&S policy, hit the Health and Safety Executive's website, they have a simple template you can adopt. There is also a requirement to have the health and safety poster on display (if you have employees), but I just grabbed a printable on and stuck that in the folder.
thanks sparkychick you always seem to be on hand. cheers pal.

Reply to Stroma assessment tomorrow!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock