Discuss struggling to find work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nick182

Hey guys,

Im just wondering what more i can do in order to find work.. I believe my CV is immaculate as i have spent hours upon hours getting it perfect. If i can get some feedback on it that would be great..

My problem is and what i believe that lets me down is my lack of experience.. Im currently self employed and am wanting to expand my knowledge.. I have offered to do some volunteer work with a railway company and have also volunteered to do work with other electrical companies but i dont seem to be getting anywhere in terms of employment.

Im completely at a loss here.. :banghead:

what else can i do?

regards,
nick

Companies like the railways would be reluctant to take on technical volunteers as I'm pretty sure there would be insurance issues and most likely union issues as well.

What you want mate and no joking is someone a little older than me ...................... to team up with.

If you could find someone that is perhaps retired but as been in the industry 40+ years and is still fit and offer them a small price to help you. You could then start to try and branch out, quote for perhaps industrial or commercial jobs and pay him for his expertise.

I'm sure in today's climate there are quite a few lads knocking about who have done apprenticeships and are either retired or just out of work, who would glaldy team up with a younger lad who is geared up for business anyway and pass on their knowledge for basically beer money

Nick, Your first issue is:
read your post - nowhere have you said what sort of work your would like to do:
Domestic hosebashing?
Industrial/commercial?
Shop fitting etc etc?

Also, what are your quals, if any. This will enable/limit the sort of work that you could do.

I can comment on your CV, but where's that?

arggh it wont upload.. i was hoping to pm it to you Taylortwocities.. (ill keep trying)

Anyways heres what i have managed to accomplish so far..

*Level 2 &
*Level 3 2330 City & Guilds
*Part P
*17th edition wiring regulations
*In-service testing and inspection plus 1 year self employed in domestic.

I would really love to get into commercial and industrial type work but im willing to grab just about anything with both hands atm..

Thanks for the tip malcolm.. im all over it!

Don't worry about the CV.
I'm sure its fine. But only needed if you are trying to get onto an apprentice scheme or similar. Most of the DNOs, railway etc tend to "grow" their career sparks from the apprentice route.

It will be more easy to do domestic stuff so you you'll need to look at joining one of the Part P schemes.
The list is at the bottom of this page
Competent Persons Register | Home
If you are not in a scheme you'll be seriously limited in what you can do, but there's an up front cost for assessment, annual subs and buying calibrated test gear.

Advertise in parish mags, local papers (nothing fancy) and you'll start to get some work. If you are good then word will get around, but it WILL take time.
Have a look at your local councils planning register and send a few letters out to people who have had planning granted. I got some work by this route when i started.
BUT
Planning Application
= Building Regulations
= Part P
= Electricians' Register
so you'd be back to my para, above.

I'm interested in your "Part P" qualification - what's that then?

When I started solo it was a small ad in the local paper (which got me my first paid job), got some leaflets printed and tramped the streets pushing them in letterboxes (avoid flats, most of them are tenanted and you want to get to the owner/occupiers), mailshot to all the local builders and another to the letting agencies offering maintenance/inspection work. It started slowly and gradually built up - like Taylor says, word of good work gets round. The leaflets can be a mixed bag - one day I got home at lunchtime and the phone rang with a job from a leaflet I'd delivered two hours earlier; another time I got a job from a leaflet I'd delivered 18 months before!

Best of luck (unless you're in my town .... :)

PJ

Another thought.

Look for property sold signs.
People moving in always need some stuff doing.

Make up a professional introduction to your skills and post it through the door when you see the removal van.

It's took me 8 months and plenty of refusals just to get one interview that is next week. Persistence is the key and don't give up, most annoying bit is when people don't even get back to you.

Agency work is good for getting known and experience but most companies I've worked for are struggling for work at the minute and would rather employ their own which is fair enough.

Good luck and don't give up hope.

Nick, Your first issue is:
read your post - nowhere have you said what sort of work your would like to do:
Domestic hosebashing?
Industrial/commercial?
Shop fitting etc etc?

Also, what are your quals, if any. This will enable/limit the sort of work that you could do.

I can comment on your CV, but where's that?

HOSEBASHING IS GREAT!! can get wet though sometimes lol

have you tried agencys invent experience on your cv its a tough world out there a few lies would help you good luck google agency central and send your cv to as many as you can

i wouldnt do as above,you'll get found out and chased,then your name will be known for being a chancer,will do more harm than good,seen a few on jobs before and they were off site before their 10 o'clocker.

Yeah i dont think i can bullsh*t my way through a job.. im not a great lier anyway..
I guess Im just tired of going at it alone because Im sort of teaching myself some bad habits and i dont want that.. I want to be good at my job..

im very close to packing it in but i have come too far to just turn back now... I never thought it would be this hard to get a job.. it was meant to get easier...

such as life

thanks guys much appreciated :)

May this be a lesson to anyone that is in training thinking that once they get their certs you can walk into a job or set up on your own and the phone will never stop ringing with customers throwing money at you.

It's very hard out there at the moment, even for the time served sparks. Many are thinking of jacking it in until the recession is over. How long? 2 years? 5 years? We don't know but if you are able to carry out the storm, calmer sea's lay ahead. Do what you need to do to survive, take a part time none electrical job if need be, if it pays the bills.

Good luck to anyone that's in the same boat, things will get better.

Think i've got it abit lucky in a way. As well as the electrical install's i do for various small builders i also muck in to help them out with other works in renovation's etc. Electrical work is all priced work so money is good i just lower my rate for helping the building works themself. Keeps money turning over and also ended up giving me extra skills and knowledge in the building trade....... main trade is still Electrics as that's the one i did apprenticeship and got the qualifications for.

Gotta diversify abit a present to make ends meet.

Think i've got it abit lucky in a way. As well as the electrical install's i do for various small builders i also muck in to help them out with other works in renovation's etc. Electrical work is all priced work so money is good i just lower my rate for helping the building works themself. Keeps money turning over and also ended up giving me extra skills and knowledge in the building trade....... main trade is still Electrics as that's the one i did apprenticeship and got the qualifications for.

Gotta diversify abit a present to make ends meet.

In other words. If it pays I'll do it. Fair play to ya. If I got to work and the boss said nothing on today you can paint my fence, the first thing I'm asking is "where's the paint brush"

Reply to struggling to find work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net