Discuss Stupidity beyond belief!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Got a callout to a diesel pump fault, its a motor mounted within the pipe that is sat on a plastic diesel container, this is a stone cutter yard and has alot of staff wondering around moving and loading stone; now with faulting this motor and the tank missing its filler cap im getting lets say covered up to the elbows in the stuff, as i have motor in hand and turn around i find a folk-lift driver asking me do i need a hand with smoke in gob.... i said im covered in diesel and you are smoking :nono: .... he then throws smoke at my feet and stubbs it..

Truely mortified i am, luckily i know diesel isn't that volatile but understand how it only takes one idiot and Bye Bye world... No smoking signs missing/ no naked flames etc too, he smoking while working, Im going to refit with alot more caution and rip a new hole out of the management after job!... i can see me not been popular with the yard lads next time i go but still in shock at this idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone threw a smoke-end at my feet whilst clearly wet with flammables , i'd ram that pump through his teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:
he apologised and it was his dumb way of putting the smoke out as he has always done he didnt intentionally throw it at my feet it was just the fact he was that close, lucky its wazzing it down and floor is a mud bath but still is beyond all common sense, but hey hes 40yrs old minimum wage and moving rocks think it says it all!!!

I think Darwinism is flawed though.... I once witnessed some stupid idiot of an idiot go back ONTO a bonfire to retrieve the can of petrol that he'd been using to dose it with before it slipped out of his hand and into the fire. Although he survived to tell the tale, I don't however think he's ever bred so let's be greatful for the small things.

While still an apprentice we got a job at a local paint factory in the middle of winter. The guys that worked there thought it was perfectly fine to warm their feet up by taking off their boots and socks, pouring paint thinners over them then lighting it. Needless to say it was only a matter of time before burning overalls, fire extinguishers and an ambulance became an issue. I don't think the guy in question has ever bred either

Petrol I would worry about, diesel isn’t easy to ignite.

As i mentioned im aware it isn't that volatile but im also aware he was clueless to this and yes had it been petrol i could see a thread im my mind in 6months time asking 'whatever happened to darkwood?'..... but also with petrol comes stricter storage and safety etc so hopefully wouldn't have been in that situe'... :Oo

You could drop a lighted ciggy into a pool of diesel and it would just extinguish it.
The only time diesel is highly volatile is the vapour at say the top of a bulk storage tank. Open the cover of that tank with a ciggy in your mouth and boom!! lol!! In liquid form you need to put a flame to it to ignite the stuff!! lol!!

But i know what you mean, i wouldn't be too keen to prove the theory either!! lol!!!

You could drop a lighted ciggy into a pool of diesel and it would just extinguish it.
The only time diesel is highly volatile is the vapour at say the top of a bulk storage tank. Open the cover of that tank with a ciggy in your mouth and boom!! lol!! In liquid form you need to put a flame to it to ignite the stuff!! lol!!

But i know what you mean, i wouldn't be too keen to prove the theory either!! lol!!!
The tank was missing its 12" filler cap but even the vapour is hard to ignite as the air/vapour mix is wrong as i remember it has to be a fine mist to get the balance right hence its so hard to accidently ignite it, think i recall this from a train crash report that was diesel and it had a long investigation why it went up into a fireball as its so rare... turn out it ruptured the diesel tank in the crash and the stopping inertia threw the diesel out in a expanding high speed mist ball.. Bang!

Putting out the cigarette when shouted at shows that there is a level of intelligence working somewhere in the mists of convoluted neurons and synapses.

Take Plasterers for instance.

We had a gang of them on one site. A dopey 1st fix. electrician hadn't fixed the T&E to the wall so that it flapped about. Enter the Neuron Moron..... Given time, they had worked out that because T&E cable has an uninsulated central cpc, they knocked a plasterboard nail through the center of the cable to fix it to the wall and then proceeded to apply wet plaster to the wall. At that point I was called in to alleviate the plaster's concerns that he was getting belts from his float...

There's much more to this story since the T&E was supposed to be a 3-core for the 2-way lighting, but that's another story

The tank was missing its 12" filler cap but even the vapour is hard to ignite as the air/vapour mix is wrong as i remember it has to be a fine mist to get the balance right hence its so hard to accidently ignite it, think i recall this from a train crash report that was diesel and it had a long investigation why it went up into a fireball as its so rare... turn out it ruptured the diesel tank in the crash and the stopping inertia threw the diesel out in a expanding high speed mist ball.. Bang!

The 12'' or whatever inspection cap area is the only area of a bulk storage Diesel tank that are classified as ''Hazardous'' under the Yank Codes. So according to them, the vapors are very much potentially explosive!! Open a closed cover and the vapour seems to gush out. Filling of these bulk storage tanks is normally by a specific filling port, not via the inspection cover!!

The 12'' or whatever inspection cap area is the only area of a bulk storage Diesel tank that are classified as ''Hazardous'' under the Yank Codes. So according to them, the vapors are very much potentially explosive!! Open a closed cover and the vapour seems to gush out. Filling of these bulk storage tanks is normally by a specific filling port, not via the inspection cover!!
Ironically the filling port (standard size cap) is next to the open inspection hatch but it has a cap screwed on, well at least they didnt lose that one.

my mate was driving up to wales when he came upon a bad accident several cars involved,now somehow one has spilt petrol all over the road and there is a casualty trapped in one of the cars.Out of the tailback walks Jagman, a 50 something driving a big jag and smoking a cigar.He starts giving it to my mate about how long the traffic will be held up as he has to be somewhere,my mate tells him to put out the cigar as he is stood in petrol,he takes no notice and my mate snatches the cigar and slings it,sirens can be heard in the distance,backup is arriving,the chap then pulls another large cigar from his pocket and lights it.now my mate is sat in a car surrounded by petrol dealing with an injured person who is trapped!he got out of the car and took the cigar off the man who swore at him he then hit the man putting him on his arse.Enter a traffic cop who enquired why he had hit the man,a quick explanation and look round resulted in Jagman being handcuffed and locked in a patrol car.

Reply to Stupidity beyond belief!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock