Discuss Sub-newb question - wiring a 240V to 12V halogen lights transformer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lavrentiu

Firstly, hi, Lavrentiu here, live in sunny Cyprus where thankfully we have the same wiring/setup as UK which is a good thing :clap:

I moved to a new place few days ago, this flat has some groovy halogen spotlights by the entrance door but unfortunately none worked. After buying a few new lamps unnecessarily thinking the old ones were burnt, I realized the problem was with some wiring inside, those thin so called silicon wiring? One was shot and managed to replace it, but now the issue is am trying to put the whole thing back, without hopefully blowing the fuses throughout the block of flats or worse :confused: :lipsrsealed2:

So could you please guide me on how to connect these back. It was quite a struggle to take it down due to the weight being suspended of the thin wires and me trying to hold it while keeping balance on a small ladder..usually I always take photos before taking anything apart but this time I foolishly thought it will be alright.

What I need help with (see photo attached below)

The 3 wires coming from the mains are Red (live wire for sure, tested with tester screwdriver), Black (neutral?), and the Green/yellow (ground?), pretty clear so far.

then there are two wires, Blue and Brown which go inside the transformer and the two thicker Red wires (marked with pink in my photo) which come out of the coil, these were connected downwards to the lamps via the silicone wires.

questions is, how to I connect the blue/brown wires that go into the transformer, to the Red and Black that come from the mains?

IMG_3173.jpg

I am not into the domestic side, so the ones that are can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there markings on the transformer telling you which wire goes to which terminal?
I can't see the pic. (All I get is a small black box with a white x in it) I think that's just down to the works comp.

Oh, welcome to the forum as well.....

I am not into the domestic side, so the ones that are can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there markings on the transformer telling you which wire goes to which terminal?
I can't see the pic. (All I get is a small black box with a white x in it) I think that's just down to the works comp.

Oh, welcome to the forum as well.....

Many thanks for the reply.

No, unfortunately no markings that I can see...probably rubbed off...Im thinking brown should go to red and blue to black...here is the direct link for photo also, maybe it'll open from the link:
https://s32.postimg.org/rnuzmx5ol/IMG_3173.jpg

you appear to have too many wires there. all i can think is that it's a dual voltage transformer. suitable for 230V or 110V. input.

you appear to have too many wires there. all i can think is that it's a dual voltage transformer. suitable for 230V or 110V. input.

Should gone to spec savers tel ;) there's two wires going in (brown and blue) to the tranny and two coming out (2x red) looks like just the right amount to me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should gone to spec savers tel ;) there's two wires going in (brown and blue) to the tranny and two coming out (2x red) looks like just the right amount to me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
apart from the earth, there 1 brown, 1 blue, 1 red, 1black, and 2 reddish brown ( marked with pink. that adds up to 6 when i went to school.

ahhhhh. that makes sense then. must be the beer goggles.

I can't even see the link..... Yes our work computers are safe from site viruses...... cause they have blocked 90% of them....

Im thinking brown should go to red and blue to black

Sounds good to me!

red to brown and black to blue. make sure you connect the cpc ( earth).

I haven't seen the pics..... I presume that there are flying leads from the transformer.
OP: What are you going to use to make the connections? Please done use choc block and insulating tape. There are better things out there.

Reply to Sub-newb question - wiring a 240V to 12V halogen lights transformer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net