Discuss Supplier fuse query/DNO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
Went to replace a consumer unit today and removed the service fuse. Lady from next door said her electric had gone off and sure enough, when fuse is removed it cuts off both properties. Rang the DNO and they said that it is not a problem. Surely this is unacceptable?

Presumably (hopefully) its split before the meter. So effectively a multi occupancy supply?

It is very common to have a TN-S supply looping to next door just make sure next doors earth is not on your house calls earth bar. I would be careful about saying you pulled the DNO fuse you never know who is reading!

I think the OP meant the DNO fuse wasn't seated right and he wanted to ensure no damage had been caused and to reseat it correctly :)

It is very common to have a TN-S supply looping to next door just make sure next doors earth is not on your house calls earth bar. I would be careful about saying you pulled the DNO fuse you never know who is reading!
If they were not bothered when he rang them up they won't be bothered on here will they!

There was an earthing conductor running into next door aswell as the tails. I have never seen two houses protected by the same service fuse before though, hence my post.

I have in 1940's houses usually, it does seem bad that two house are on one fuse. But DNO march to their own drum beat.

As I understand it, the suppliers fuse is primarily to protect the suppliers cable so they can do this. Hopefully services split before the meter and main protective conductors are from the TNS cable cut out and not upstream at the CU. If I may ask - what was the service fuse size and how long are the neighbours tails do you reckon?

Tails are no more than 1 metre, 16mm csa. next doors is back to back, where they go into another service head/fuse. They are split before the meter. I think the fuse was 100amp, but will have to double check when I return. Job was postponed for the time being.

Yes the cut out can be loop in to other property, but only on supply side.If you withdraw the fuse it should only prove dead to that property in question. eg 100amp feeding both that is wrong.

Lots of old supplies have one fuse feeding two meters/supplies. Most common in houses split into two houses with a rising or later main to the second meter. Meter operators won't install a new supply on a shared fuse but will exchange the meters as the dno's are not obligated to change them to seperate fusing.

Lots of old supplies have one fuse feeding two meters/supplies. Most common in houses split into two houses with a rising or later main to the second meter. Meter operators won't install a new supply on a shared fuse but will exchange the meters as the dno's are not obligated to change them to seperate fusing.
Yes classic with maisonettes, shared fuse. But next door?

Yes classic with maisonettes, shared fuse. But next door?

Not usual but have seen it a few times. Most we've had was 9 flats/offices off a 200amp three phase head fed direct to all properties with no sub fusing just straight out of the MI pot at each meter. Only one office had access as it was in there basement.

Reply to Supplier fuse query/DNO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock