Discuss Supply Problems or very unlucky customer??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had a customer today, kettle not boiling correctly, 4th replacement kettle in 3 weeks.
all not boiling past Luke warm

Supply characteristics
TT Supply 66ohms.
No Bonding as caravan and all utilities in plastic (caravan) bonded
RCD protecting caravan and caravan supply (30mA)
when kettle reaches Luke warm it stops boiling (but not click off) then temp drops and kettle brings water back to Luke warm

RCD: 9/15
PFC: 3.25
LN: 245v
LE:244v
NE: 1v

voltage drop: 3volts under load

anyone got any ideas? I am implied to say kettle but how can this be the 4th kettle in 3 weeks?
2nd and 3rd and 4th kettle never worked correctly. 1st worked for 2 weeks

tried different sockets at different locations through the site (garage, new build site supply, caravan)
all under same supply but different CU from same main ISO

Recommended customer to give to daughter to test (some 30miles away)

Last edited:
same as what he said in his OP

- - - Updated - - -

what wattage are the kettles?

Not one of those kettles that have a keep warm function on them is it?? If it is, it could be someone has flicked the keep warm function on so it won't boil, it'll just keep bringing the temperature up to around 80/90 degrees C!! I know because we have such a kettle here!! lol!!

All different kettles, non had advanced features like Eco, keep warm or anything.

2 are cheap ones from tesco, one from local shop and one is rustle hobb, only thing similar is they are all base type, no fixed cabled or plug in cable type

All different kettles, non had advanced features like Eco, keep warm or anything.

2 are cheap ones from tesco, one from local shop and one is rustle hobb, only thing similar is they are all base type, no fixed cabled or plug in cable type

Unless you have a bad connection on outlet circuit or somewhere, that only shows up under a heavyish load, then your client has had some very bad luck with the kettles they have bought!! lol!!

Id suggest a loose connection somewhere but if you tried it on different caravans that would be mighty odd! Could you borrow a kettle from another van and try that?

try your own kettle in house, customers have tried this on me before any excuse not to make me a cuppa.next they will say they have run out of tea bags and bikkies

I would measure current being drawn as kettle is boiling and see if that was close to expected calculated current. If voltage is within correct parameters then you would normally expect current to be what you would expect. Test your own kettle at home then plug it into the caravan socket and see how it behaves. Don't tell the missus though.

Presumably you checked voltage was 245 while under load (kettle on)

All new kettles doing the same thing? - it would be amazing to discover all the kettles as being faulty!

Only other possible reason for this would be you are at the north pole and the ambient temperature in the caravan is -50 deg :)

Try checking the whole length of the circuit right back to the incomer, if this is the only element they are using it must a high resistance reading on the circuit somewhere.

Reply to Supply Problems or very unlucky customer??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock