Discuss Surface Meter tails, in plastic conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm quoting for a CU change, where I'll be replacing the meter tails (because of length). I will have to run the tails on the surface (less than 3m) on the outside wall. For a neater appearance and because the wall is pebble dashed, I was considering putting the tails (2 x 25mm) in 32mm conduit. Currently checking on-line, I can see that 32mm plastic conduit is available, but there seems hardly any fittings, bends etc. Can anyone advise, or suggest an alternative. Don't fancy swa.

Some will probably slate me for this, but I did the same kind of job a couple of months back.

Cu was moved internally so tails became too short. I just pulled in new tails following the old route, which was in the cavity.

I was going to do the same myself on another job, as the existing tails were in the cavity. Used some 32mm flexible plastic conduit to protect them during installation. In the end I was able to utalise some boxing for a soil pipe (in the flexible conduit). With hindsight, I think it would of been a hard task to get them down the cavity (about two metres), and don't want to try in this case.

You really shouldn't put cables in the cavity - not just 'because', but because they really CAN cause problems with water ingress - I've witnessed first hand water tracking down a cable from 3flrs above and running straight down into the back of a CU!

If you're thinking external trunking, why not use 2 x 25mm black pvc conduit (you'll squeeze the earthing conductor in with one of the tails) for which the world is your oyster as far as bends, corners etc etc is concerned.

I'm quoting for a CU change, where I'll be replacing the meter tails (because of length). I will have to run the tails on the surface (less than 3m) on the outside wall. For a neater appearance and because the wall is pebble dashed, I was considering putting the tails (2 x 25mm) in 32mm conduit. Currently checking on-line, I can see that 32mm plastic conduit is available, but there seems hardly any fittings, bends etc. Can anyone advise, or suggest an alternative. Don't fancy swa.
dont bother with this.....use a length of armoured....and cleat it to the wall...
god, a bloke i used to do a bit of work for was going to do this....it took me 2 days to convince him that a bit of armoured was the better way.....

messing around with bits of plastic on an outside wall will look garbage
16mm 3 core swa all day long for a job like this.

dont bother with this.....use a length of armoured....and cleat it to the wall...
god, a bloke i used to do a bit of work for was going to do this....it took me 2 days to convince him that a bit of armoured was the better way.....

Chaps, couldn't agree more, it will look like your grannies pants, but if the OP has, for whatever reason (probably because he can't make it off) discounted SWA then I think it's only fair we try to come up with something better than waste pipe!!!

Chaps, couldn't agree more, it will look like your grannies pants, but if the OP has, for whatever reason (probably because he can't make it off) discounted SWA then I think it's only fair we try to come up with something better than waste pipe!!!
no business installing then..
anyone come across this type of thing before:

Picture 002.jpg

You really shouldn't put cables in the cavity - not just 'because', but because they really CAN cause problems with water ingress - I've witnessed first hand water tracking down a cable from 3flrs above and running straight down into the back of a CU!

Only if the external cable penetration hasn't been sealed properly. Otherwise it's down to failed old mortar pointing, or old penetrations that haven't been sealed etc... The old adage of, if a cable touches both internal surfaces it causes damp, is just another old wife's tale...

The ones i replaced had been there for 30 years with no signs of water tracking. Probably because they went out the back of the meter box and into the house, so no issues with water anywhere

Only if the external cable penetration hasn't been sealed properly. Otherwise it's down to failed old mortar pointing, or old penetrations that haven't been sealed etc... The old adage of, if a cable touches both internal surfaces it causes damp, is just another old wife's tale...

Agreed, but the point is that mortar, pointing etc does eventually need redoing and it's generally safer to discover this by finding a damp patch on a wall rather than have a shower of sparks come from a dis board! It's easy to forget that an awful lot of 70's housing stock was, er, 'done on the quick' and pointing, ridges etc are all starting to show this 40yrs on.

The case I mentioned above was a loose ridge tile / end capping failure, water running down the cavity until it met a 10mm T&E shower feed, then it was like F1 straight to the finish in the CU.

At least with modern new builds where the cavities (or closures) tend to get filled with insulation of one form or another it stops the cowboys from continuing the problem!

Not sure if its applicable, but have you considered waste water pipe (is it somethink like 42mm?) Plenty of fittings ect available.

have you considered using a 40mm waste pipe with a weatherproof adaptable box top and bottom?ive used a similar system to supply power to my raised flower bed lighting.ive cut a tight hole in the bottom of the adap box for the waste pipe to fit into.this works a treat.and to cover yourself,pt some voltage warning stickers on it.your 16mm tails and 10mm earth will fit in there a treat

have you considered using a 40mm waste pipe with a weatherproof adaptable box top and bottom?ive used a similar system to supply power to my raised flower bed lighting.ive cut a tight hole in the bottom of the adap box for the waste pipe to fit into.this works a treat.and to cover yourself,pt some voltage warning stickers on it.your 16mm tails and 10mm earth will fit in there a treat
16mm earth i'd have thought:o_O:

Welcome to the forum

Reply to Surface Meter tails, in plastic conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net