Discuss SUSPENDED FROM WORK DUE TO UNSAFE PROCEDURES - who agrees??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to this forum. I was working along side this guy doing a rewire on a 3 bedroom property.
As everything was getting ripped out, he left the fuseboard connected live, which he then connected a temp socket off a breaker which was fixed in order to use power tools etc .... An assessor come to sight an immediately suspended him as simply the fuseboard cover was not put on... Is this a sackable Affence? The property was void an there was 3 competent electricians on site an the front door was locked.... Need people's advice here as this poor guy could be getting sacked an the charge was unsafe working practise.....

i's say that the worst scenario was a written warning. was the live busbar covered? was there a serious risk of injury?

The door is locked and three sparks have access to an open fuse box. Bit over zealous here I think.
Are they going to sack the three of you for being complicit in 'unsafe' practice. I doubt it.

Could be that he has only been suspended whilst the investigation is taking place which some firms do along with the understanding he does not contact his work colleagues, clients, suppliers etc.

I would have to agree that leaving the cover off the distribution board is dangerous and a serious matter.

never mind. i can give him a job nicking car wheels, as long as he refits the hub caps to the bricks. :juggle:

that's the point of the post. the OP is a scouser as well.

It is going to depend on the terms and conditions of his employment and on whether he followed the company's code of practice/risk assessment/method statement/ etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say the cover should of been fitted its OK saying your all electricians on site but was the fuse board in a position that you could easy get to ? what if one of you fell against the live bus bar ? or some one unplaned comes to site like the inspector and put his fingers in it because he thinks in turned off !!!. As Dave says time to get out your method statements and risk assements

Having done my SMST last year I think the foreman was within his rights to kick the sparky off, An exposed live DB has the potential to cause serious if not deadly accidents. Common sense however would dictate a stern warning and making sure the cover was replaced immediately.
But bearing In mind if anyone was to get injured or worse, the responsibility lies with him, He's probably just covering his back.

Having done my SMST last year I think the foreman was within his rights to kick the sparky off, An exposed live DB has the potential to cause serious if not deadly accidents. Common sense however would dictate a stern warning and making sure the cover was replaced immediately.
But bearing In mind if anyone was to get injured or worse, the responsibility lies with him, He's probably just covering his back.

Or they might have a bit of history.

what meter?

I see this quite often, plus accessories hanging off the wall, sockets,switches, when I mention it they just look at me, all I can do is give them an advisory. After all these are dangerous practice's.

So the house was secure and then one of the 3 unlocked it and let someone else in?
Or did the assessor manage to gain entry without the knowledge of the 3?

Are you normally subject to inspections?

If this had started - A person was today electrocuted as an electrician...............................or I have been asked to do this as a temporary supply....................... would peoples views or comments be different? Just saying!

Reply to SUSPENDED FROM WORK DUE TO UNSAFE PROCEDURES - who agrees??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock