Discuss SWA armouring as Earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
At what size of SWA cable are you required to run an external earth ? I'm inspecting a distribution system and its a complete mess. No main earths anywhere but they have utilized the armour and are using at is their earth. I can't find anything in the regs book, is there possibly something in the guidance notes I can refer to ?

At what size of SWA cable are you required to run an external earth ? I'm inspecting a distribution system and its a complete mess. No main earths anywhere but they have utilized the armour and are using at is their earth. I can't find anything in the regs book, is there possibly something in the guidance notes I can refer to ?
SWA CPC.pdf

Attachments

• SWA CPC.pdf
    991.5 KB · Views: 26
If you are doing inspections you should know this being an electrical supervisor and all that.

There is no limit on size where a separate conductor is required, it depends on the individual conditions of the installation.
When assessing an existing installation the table 54.7 can be used as a first reference, but if this shows that the armour is inadequate you must then use the adiabatic equation as that may show that it is adequate.
Table 54.7 often gives a larger conductor size than is actually required.

You also need to consider whether the cpc also needs to perform the function of a bonding conductor, this usually changes things considerably.

Was a fair question but a nice response.

Reply to SWA armouring as Earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock