Discuss SWA banjo. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

What do you do when making a SWA gland off

• Total voters

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
Just wondering what other sparks thoughts are on when making a SWA gland off. Do you generally fit the banjo inside the enclosure, outside the enclosure or piranha lock nuts every time on glands up to 25mm in size. Also there are no restrictions in/outside the enclosure to stop the banjo going inside or out (for arguments sake).

No real reason behind the poll just wanted to see what the general consensus is.

Last edited:
At the moment we use Piranha lock nuts on glands 20/25mm and Banjo's on gland sizes above. On our Main Switch Boards we don't use typical brass SWA glands we use top hat bolted glands, similar to that would typically be used for MV cable glanding... Hell of a lot easier to terminate say a 4 core 185mm or more SWA cable, especially in restricted spaces....

When I used to work on switch gear, always cleaned the outer casing of the metal enclosure with a small wire brush (in a battery drill later in life) to make sure it was nice and clean for a good contact with the Bango.

I always do outside, gutter bolt and fly lead. Never used those piranha lock nuts.

Prefer to use brass bolts & nuts myself.

you shouldn't be using guttering or roofing bolts, should be brass, certainly not allowed in hazardous areas.

With brass Banjos you should be using Brass or Stainless steel nuts and bolts or risk the effects of dissimilar metals on the connection, especially in high humidity/external areas, or in corrosive /semi corrosive environments etc....

With brass Banjos you should be using Brass or Stainless steel nuts and bolts or risk the effects of dissimilar metals on the connection, especially in high humidity/external areas, or in corrosive /semi corrosive environments etc....
what about the steel nut? in this case, an earthing nut would solve the problem.

the steel nut that holds the gland in place. supplied with the gland kit.

Reply to SWA banjo. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net