Discuss Swa bonding, what method. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Good point :)
I'm just thinking during the masonry drill attack the armour may be called upon to act as cpc so beef it up ?
Depends as the steel armour conductivity isn't the same as copper so tho you might use a fly lead of 10mm the armour may not be even that equivalent

Na that's if you use conduit say as the cpc and you take a fly lead from the metal back box to the socket as the conduit is the cpc.
In this case the trunking is not acting as a cpc it mearly becomes an exposed conductive part because the swa is glanded to it.
exactly my thoughts or using 2core SWA and the armour as the CPC.

Of course it needs to be earthed.
As it's an exposed conductive part who actually said it needs bonding as in extraneous??
I said supplementary bonded to earth or ' earthing ' which is different to protective bonding ,as in extraneous parts

People don't gland it to the board enclosure because they are too lazy to find a simple solution to do so, just leave it floating in the cavity no one will know is the remit these days.

Thing is, even if the armour isn't being earthed at both ends. It still needs glanding. It needs terminating correctly!

I'd sack any "electrician" who thought this was a solution.

An westwood, I'm not saying you think this is correct.

Thing is, even if the armour isn't being earthed at both ends. It still needs glanding. It needs terminating correctly!

I'd sack any "electrician" who thought this was a solution.

An westwood, I'm not saying you think this is correct.
Don't think it is correct at all but it is the nature of the trade now because people do not have skills to engineer solutions.

Of course it needs to be earthed.
As it's an exposed conductive part who actually said it needs bonding as in extraneous??
I said supplementary bonded to earth or ' earthing ' which is different to protective bonding ,as in extraneous parts

Earthed agreed. But the use of the term bonding in this sort of thing is the cause of much confusion. It results in people assuming a bonding conductor is there to earth their pipes....such confusion causes many a newbie Electrical Trainee bursting with self importance to berate a plumber for using plastic fittings on copper pipes

Don't think it is correct at all but it is the nature of the trade now because people do not have skills to engineer solutions.

It's not following the regs though, everything should be suitably terminated (or words to that effect).

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to have been a huge influx on a few forums all with similar questions. god knows whats going on.

It's not following the regs though, everything should be suitably terminated (or words to that effect).

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to have been a huge influx on a few forums all with similar questions. god knows whats going on.
Couldn't agree more Rob.

Hi all

Just need your advice, theirs a discussion going on atm on site between a couple of sparks. We have around 50 apartments being fed by 3core swa from a panel room all glanded into the top of a run of trunking, armour isn't used as cpc. One spark is saying we need to run individual 16mm earth's to each gland
Another is saying 10mm to the first of each set and then looping. I would have thought just bonding the trunking near the board adding some bonding tags in-between the trunking sections and bolting the banjos on would suffice. Tbf the trunking is <o.o1 atm anyway to met. So what's your opinion and regs if possible, don't have book with me.

Thank you.

Personally I would use Piranaha nuts (think they do a 32mm size) on each SWA and verifiy that the trunking is solidly bonded. No need for daisy chain links IMHO. What size are the subs?

Reply to Swa bonding, what method. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock