Discuss SWA Fly lead in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

ive always put half the size in on every swa ive terminated,,,,or if there is a seperate cpc run with swa i take into panel through a stuffing gland up to earth bar..

What about when its a main panel , we have a job with the swa cables to be terminated into the galvanised steel glandplate on the top of the panel , this is already bolted to the chassis of the panel and has a 16mm bond from the top plate to the earth bar. The panel is a schneider okken . Would you take a flying earth lead from every SWA banjo to the bar in a CPC half the phase size ?? or would this just be overkill. They are using the armour as the CPC for all these outgoing circuits so best readings are needed to meet the disconnection times .

any oppionions welcomed

When i worked in a factory i would make off the swa as normal then run a 6mm
earth cable from the brass lockring to a earth clamp on the armour.
contractors used to say it was overkll but it maintains the earth if the
gland comes loose.

Pblec I mean this with no dis-respect but I hope you are not undertaking this task as the main installer as you could be a little out of your depth. We are willing to help you on here but basic understanding of earthily and bonding is a must.

no disrespect i know what it is thats why i asked

main protective bonding conductor - earth wire comeing into house

main equipotential bonding - incoming services, steel etc

supplementory bonding - is additional bonding

wp says its earthing and not supplementory bonding i beleive earthing and bonding are the same thing and was hopping for him to clarify

Well for staters the earth coming into your house is called your MAIN EARTHING CONDUCTOR not bonding.
And secondly wp is right what your proposing is an earth tag. Your earthing the SWA armour.
Bonding is bringing all extrenous parts to the same potential so different potentials don't exist.

S = Isquared x T then hit square root and finally divided by K i think lol cant show exactly asdont know how to on the laptop its in the regs pg128
S = is the nominal cross sectional area of the conducter
I squared is the value in amperes of fault current of negligable impedence which can flow through the protective device , due account being taken fof the current limiting effect on the circuit impedences and the limiting capability I2t
T the operating time of the disconnecting device in seconds corresponds to the fault current I amperes
K is the factor taking into account of the resistivity ,temperature coefficient and heat capacity of the conductor material , and the apropriate initial and final temperatures

simon please its too easy check out page 167 544.1 amendment 1 2011

is supplementory bonding not connecting of conductive parts of electrical and non electrical items to prevent a dangerous voltage to prevent a dangerous voltage apearing between them under an earth fault conditions

Reply to SWA Fly lead in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net