Discuss SWA Fly lead in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Archy its not trolling please feel free to jump in, but be aware whats tripping everyone up is termanology on this.

a question was asked i answered but the question is terminology is the connection to the armour on SWA earthing or bonding, because earthing doesn't exost according to the regs but bonding does and i beleive this bonding is supplementory or aditional

I reckon this thread was more industrial than house basher so as you said earlier " pblec " to Mark on another thread best you get back in your box !

Archy its not trolling please feel free to jump in, but be aware whats tripping everyone up is termanology on this.

a question was asked i answered but the question is terminology is the connection to the armour on SWA earthing or bonding, because earthing doesn't exost according to the regs but bonding does and i beleive this bonding is supplementory or aditional

It's your terminology that's mixed here mate.

So the term earthing don't exist? What is it called when you connect the CPC of a circuit to the earth bar than??

no please 54 when i get proved wrong i have to correct it so it can only improve me.

i'd guess there are plenty of people out there who don't know these things so its an educational process, we have to stay current and if it turns out i am correct with my assumptions then that can't be a bad thing as it shows some of you old timers on these boards have to be prepared to back up your statements rather than confuse us all with general coments

pblec,

After 28 years in the industry as an electrician, you shouldn't really be having this conversation, ...but You are!!!

i have used the outer core of swa as a cpc but that wasn't the question

i couldn't use it as CPC when i first qualified as the firm i worked for didn't allow it and even now i won't - but that doesn't mean its wrong.

i'm sorry but what it does mean is you need to get your head in a regs book and refresh your knowladge a little, its not an insult i've just opened my green book tonight because of these forums.

rule of thumb if you cant be bothered to work out is use the same size of earth cable to live conductors upto 16mm after that it is half

i have used the outer core of swa as a cpc but that wasn't the question

i couldn't use it as CPC when i first qualified as the firm i worked for didn't allow it and even now i won't - but that doesn't mean its wrong.

i'm sorry but what it does mean is you need to get your head in a regs book and refresh your knowladge a little, its not an insult i've just opened my green book tonight because of these forums.

Read on mate read on. Ive said nothing wrong in this thread and if you think I have prove it with a erg and why,

and you havnt answered my question, what is it called when a CPC is connected to an earth bar because the term earthing doesn't exist?

sorry mate i was trying to be diplomatic, i'm new on the forum and their has been a few mistakes made in this topic.

as you may know people read on forums and look at the number of posts then beleive everything they say, which is a bad thing.

just because i've been at it for 28 years doesn't mean i know everything, you will find i'll ask some bloody stupid questions that apprentices will know but it may be something i've just taken for granted

sorry mate i was trying to be diplomatic, i'm new on the forum and their has been a few mistakes made in this topic.

as you may know people read on forums and look at the number of posts then beleive everything they say, which is a bad thing.

just because i've been at it for 28 years doesn't mean i know everything, you will find i'll ask some bloody stupid questions that apprentices will know but it may be something i've just taken for granted

And I agree and so do all the old timers out there. We can't be expected to know it all and we don't, it's all a learning curve.

I think the answer to the original question is, just use some G/W at the same csa as your line conductors. Nowt wrong with over sizing a cable.

Or, make sure your terminations to enclosure are bomd proof then have a juicy G/W to the earth bar.

Piranaha nuts are the things you need.

yes its a learning curve so hopefuly tonight you've learned the new name for the main earth its the 'main protective bonding conductor' the term for connecting cpc's into the earth bar is 'termination of CPC's' and that parts of a circuit which are not used but may become live under a fault condition require 'supplementory bonding' and that i don't generaly ' use the SWA armoured sheath as a CPC'
and finaly i am a pain in the ---

yes its a learning curve so hopefuly tonight you've learned the new name for the main earth its the 'main protective bonding conductor' the term for connecting cpc's into the earth bar is 'termination of CPC's' and that parts of a circuit which are not used but may become live under a fault condition require 'supplementory bonding' and that i don't generaly ' use the SWA armoured sheath as a CPC'

The fact you are still calling your main earthing conductor your main bonding conductor gives me a headache cause you fail to listen.

You are a pain the proverbial because you refuse to listen. I've been reading your other posts tonight, have a feeling we'll be seeing alot of you soon....oh the joy.

check your regs book page 167 544.1 amend 1 2011 - just remember it was you which said i described it wrong

and always a pleasure never a chore!

Does the adiabatic equation not calculate the minium CSA of a CPC for use with swa ? if so then how do i work out thes CSA of a sheet steel plate which is what all thes SWA cables are glanded into ???? I understand using that when your using a single SWA feeding a board for instance,it would be used to calculate the CSA of the armouring ,But when using the gland plate and it contains multiple cables i dont think this equation is applicable , i would have thouth it more likley to be a rule of thumb thing ????

That's not the new name for the main earth.
That's the new name for a main equipotential bonding conductor.
There's been no change to the correct terminology for the main earth, it's still called an earthing conductor

check your regs book page 167 544.1 amend 1 2011 - just remember it was you which said i described it wrong

and always a pleasure never a chore!

Your still wrong as that's describing a main bonding conductor, not a main earthing conductor. Again I stress two different things.

Reply to SWA Fly lead in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net