Discuss Swa to consumer unit - how to make it look neat? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tomodo

-
Reaction score
Hi having to use swa instead of tails for a new consumer unit as its 6 metres from meter however don't want to be able to see the swa glanded off to consumer unit , whats the best way to go about doing this, consumer unit will be in utility room. thanks

Hi having to use swa instead of tails for a new consumer unit as its 6 metres from meter however don't want to be able to see the swa glanded off to consumer unit , whats the best way to go about doing this, consumer unit will be in utility room. thanks

what is the wall the CU is being mounted on i.e stud wall, brick etc? if its brick are you allowed to chase cables in?

its a stud wall, cant see how id bend swa round to come in through the back, only way I can think is through joists then butt the fuseboard up to the ceiling and come n through the top..

What lee said.

Chase SWA in to wall and terminate in to a Galv conduit box chased in flush and then mount the CU on top.

if it's stud you could mount conduit box on a noggin in the wall first, you would just have to make good the plaster work first before mounting the CU.

Last edited:
its a stud wall, cant see how id bend swa round to come in through the back, only way I can think is through joists then butt the fuseboard up to the ceiling and come n through the top..

mount a nogging before its boarded with something you can gland the swa in to like a metal adaptable box or galv stop end box.

Edit: didn't see Wes1000's post :cool3:

Last edited:
Out of interest, why don't you want a SWA gland with shroud on, on show? I think it looks alot neater than tails entering a board but this is my own opinion.

You could use a flush mounted CU, and have the SWA and gland all concealed in stud wall. Gland in on top or underneath. Job done. All you see is the lid of CU. Tidy.

Fit some 50mmx50mm PVC trunking gland the SWA as normal using the trunking to hide the gland.

do it right. fit some unistrut and tray. make a feature of it. it's a utility room, FFS, not a princess's boudoir.

Nah, boxed into a riser, surrounded by a unistrut frame which is then drylined, then a cupboard built around that. Then wallpapered.
and a vase of flowers, FFS. bought the x-wife some flowers once. she said " i suppose i've got to open my legs now"'.. " Why", i said. "ain't you got a vase big enough?"

I have glanded into a metal knockout box in the past and contained it within a large plastic enclosure. Bit of a faff on to get it right and you will need an insulated enclosure pretty much as big as the CU itself. That was with 16mm 2 core though, anything bigger might be near impossible.

Personally,i would be very apprehensive,concerning chasing out,and concealing such a cable,in a utility room,where every white-goods dude,storage fitter and DIYer,will be wielding a drill.

Viewed a photo the other week,of some hero who had masonry drilled through a 4" brick wall,and through both sides,of a radiator,on the other side...

A nice piece of square trunking,can be worktop and cupboarded round,and can hide in plain view.

Reply to Swa to consumer unit - how to make it look neat? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock