Discuss Switch Polarity Question. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to the forum WardWilliam. I've made your post into anew thread so it doesn't hijack the one you posted it in.

No, polarity is stated with respect to the supply. An ordinary switch is not polarised in itself, so if an SP switch is connected to the correct pole of the supply, even if it's controlling the wrong load (i.e. controlling what was supposed to be PL not SL) you wouldn't call it reverse polarity, just wrong. If you meant the switch cable was wired with L-colour for SL and N-colour for PL then that's purely a colour coding convention.

During fault finding I came across a switch wire and a perm wire connected the wrong way would this still be known as reversed polarity ? As the connections are reversed?

Reversed polarity is a live and neutral swapped, not two lives in the wrong places.
By wrong way round do you mean the sw live is in the common and perm live in the L1 terminal of a switch? If so then it's not wrong, just different to the usual way of connecting it.

Reversed polarity is a live and neutral swapped, not two lives in the wrong places.
By wrong way round do you mean the sw live is in the common and perm live in the L1 terminal of a switch? If so then it's not wrong, just different to the usual way of connecting it.

Had a long standing member of this forum helping me out recently on a job. He 'may' have connected a S/L and permanent live up the wrong way round which resulted in a time switch not working as soon as the off cycle came round. Easy mistake, soon sorted and no harm done.

Had a long standing member of this forum helping me out recently on a job. He 'may' have connected a S/L and permanent live up the wrong way round which resulted in a time switch not working as soon as the off cycle came round. Easy mistake, soon sorted and no harm done.

That's a bit different to a plate switch though isn't it!

I've got an oil filled rad with an integral timeswitch which is wired up the same way I think, the timer only goes round when it's set to be on, as soon as it hits the off the timer stops.

That's a bit different to a plate switch though isn't it!

I've got an oil filled rad with an integral timeswitch which is wired up the same way I think, the timer only goes round when it's set to be on, as soon as it hits the off the timer stops.

Yep, it is different Dave. OP never initially mentioned a plate switch though. Not having a dig with the last message, just highlighting that it can make a difference which may be of interest to the OP. :smile5:

I need to connect 2 way and even intermediate so that all switches can be in the normal off position with the light/s off, otherwise it really annoys me,all plate screw slots vertical too, even with caps over them ! :rolleyes2:

I need to connect 2 way and even intermediate so that all switches can be in the normal off position with the light/s off, otherwise it really annoys me,all plate screw slots vertical too, even with caps over them ! :rolleyes2:
You really do need to get out a bit more Dave.

Yep .... that me too.

In my case it comes from my Instument making / precision engineering background

Our new house came like that, say the living room light was off, one of the two way switches would be in the off position, and the other would be in the on position. Didn't take long to put it right, I'd be in an asylum now if I didn't. In fact, I don't even like both switches being in the on position when the light is off, which I know defeats the point of 2-way switching, but it bugs me to the point I'll go to the other side of the room to turn the light off so the switch looks right.

Also like to dress my screws, even under caps.

Our new house came like that, say the living room light was off, one of the two way switches would be in the off position, and the other would be in the on position. Didn't take long to put it right, I'd be in an asylum now if I didn't. In fact, I don't even like both switches being in the on position when the light is off, which I know defeats the point of 2-way switching, but it bugs me to the point I'll go to the other side of the room to turn the light off so the switch looks right.

Also like to dress my screws, even under caps.
Give Dave a ring and see if he wants to go for a few pints.

Reply to Switch Polarity Question. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net