Discuss Switch spur by a sink in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

ben2012

Just a quick one, I've had a look and can't find a definitive answer! Is their a minimum distance between a sink and spur for a boiler. I've just wired it all up and they have changed the kitchen and fit the sink below the boiler and spur. All I can find is 300mm distance but not sure if theirs anything else ? Thanks

Asink isn't considered a special zone so you've just got to decide a position that would be free from splashing etc.

Ok thanks, it's not ideal where it is but as it's all just been wired and the wall freshly plastered is a pain! Might have to look into some sort of enclosure for it!

300 mm is o/k if its away from the sink and the drainer , shouldn't need an enclosure , i take it its covered by an RCD anyway as cables are buried in the wall , so should be o/k ...

By that I mean not over the sink , either to the left or right ,,,lol,,

Last edited by a moderator:
All equipment/accessories must be suitable for the environment in which they are installed.

If it's right over the sink I would say a standard fused connection unit would not be suitable. You can get higher IP rated fused connection units that fit flush. Either that or move the spur......those would be my two choices. I know it involves smashing into plaster, but if they can change the plan so can you.

Just a quick one, I've had a look and can't find a definitive answer! Is their a minimum distance between a sink and spur for a boiler. I've just wired it all up and they have changed the kitchen and fit the sink below the boiler and spur. All I can find is 300mm distance but not sure if theirs anything else ? Thanks

So why not get your tape measure out, measure where it is and then TELL US?

That way, we can tell you the right answer!!!

We are not mind readers.

If the customer has changed the design of the kitchen, and placed the sink directly under the fused spur, YOU HAVE NO OPTION, but to tell them, that you WILL HAVE to move the spur, and the cost will be ........

If the customer has changed the design of the kitchen, and placed the sink directly under the fused spur, YOU HAVE NO OPTION, but to tell them, that you WILL HAVE to move the spur, and the cost will be ........

Dam right its not your fault is it.... i also wouldnt care less about the plastering either. Did they care when they moved the sink under your spur???? Na so just do what needs to be done mate and move your cable and charge them accordingly.

as last 2 posts. make sure you tell them beforehand that it's chargeable. if they won't pay, enter it on cert. that sink was moved and client refuses rectification.

Is that fact in the building regs (i.e. by law) or guidance from the electricans guide to the building regs?

Must admit I always thought it was guidance!
Is there a difference? I always thought the guide to the building regs was just that - the same information as in the building regs but in an easier to understand format, just like the onsite guide is based around BS7671.
If it contained different information what would be the point of having it?
It says '300mm from the sink or drainer' so that's what it should be; that's not just the author's suggested minimum distance.

Is there a difference?

Simples .....

1) Law (e.g. Building Regs) don't do what it says and you can be prosecuted!
2) Guidance (e.g. BS7671, OSG, GN's, Electricians Guide to ....) don't do what it says and you can't be prosecuted.

However, by following 2), should you be prosecuted in Law under say the EAWR's you can offer the likes of conforming to BS7671 in your defence! (Not too sure if the guide to the building regs has the same sway as BS7671 but I would doubt it)

For the 300mm case, if actually stated as that distance in the building regs (I assume it means horizontally from the sinks edge), if its placed horizontally 250mm from the sink edge but 2m up the wall, in law you could be prosecuted -- i.e. it either is or isn't within 300mm horizontally of the sinks edge. The fact thats its 2m up the wall would be mitigation in your defence but your still within the 300mm that the law requires.

If it was just guidance, you could argue the 2m up the wall negates the 300mm guidance -- it could be directly above the sink and well out of harms way.

Hence my original query as to whether the 300mm is actually stipulated in the building regs as a distance or just someones interpretation/guidance on what they think something in the building regs about accessories in a kitchen means!

The law may be an --- but if you don't follow it beware ..... Q.E.D.?

If it is 300mm above the sink then in theory you are complying with the regs

Thats my query! Are the building regs actually mentioning the 300mm or it that the interpretation within the guide to the building regs by the author? And if the 300mm is mentioned in the building regs is that from the edge of the sink (bit like zones in the bathroom) or is it just 300mm in any direction from the edge of the sink?

I always thought the 300mm was an interpretation of the building regs rather than actually being mentioned specifically in the building regs.

There must be a building regs guru out there who can quote a regs number .......

But why should it be in the building regs? This should be stated in BS7671 in clear English, not hidden in loosely worded rules!

But why should it be in the building regs? This should be stated in BS7671 in clear English, not hidden in loosely worded rules!

Agreed, but can anyone identify it anywhere?. I can't find any reference to 300mm so am seeking some help to clarify my understanding!

But maybe in the BYB we will have a set of special location rules for kitchens ........ or maybe not!

Reply to Switch spur by a sink in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock