Discuss Switch that switches off all the lights in the house in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Skindy

Hi guys

Was wondering if anyone has any information on a switch, that will turn off all the lights off in the house.

I need to know what it is actually called and any advice on how to install it.

I will very grateful for any help

Many thanks

I have to ask, why do you want all the lights in your house controlled by a single switch?

last man out turn off the lights. a bit like the EU when we leave.

well, you don't want to be running all round thew house switching off lights when it's 10 minutes to last orders and the pub is 5 minutes walk.

couple of contactors should do the job. one for each lighting circuit. they can be din rail mounted in the consumer unit if there is space. easily done, couple of hours work for a competent electrician.

Hi guys

Was wondering if anyone has any information on a switch, that will turn off all the lights off in the house.

Many thanks

The MCB's on your consumer unit can be used for functional switching BS EN 60898, BE EN 60947-2 or BS EN 61009-1 are all suitable for functional switching (Table 53.4), or give us a context as to what the purpose is and there may be a more convenient method?

Hi guys

Many thanks
What you're after is known as a 'last man out switch'. It's not necessarily a 'thing' which you add in though, it can be dependent on the way the house has been wired. As others have said you can install contactors on each lighting circuit which are simply controlled from a switch at the front door, like a hotel master switch, but you'd always need to remember to switch it back on when you re-enter the property, turning everything back on which was left on when you left the house, you'd need to re-enter by the same way you left, and as has already been mentioned if you have anything like outdoor security lights, alarms, clocks etc wired into the lighting circuit they will all be turned off when you leave as well.

Alternatively you could have a contactor for every light switch controlled by separate momentary push to make and push to break switches, then a master push to break switch at each exit which cuts power to all the contactors, then each light can be switched back on as needed, like a safety stop switch in a workshop.
Once you have your house wired like this it should be easy enough to swap the contactors for an intelligent lighting system, so you could turn all the lights on and off via an app on a smart phone, which seems to be all the rage nowadays.

Or as Murdoch says you could change all your light bulbs for low energy ones so it won't make as much difference if you leave the lights on,
Or you could get into the habit of turning lights off as you leave a room.

Hi guys

Many thanks

No need to install anything additional. Just use the one marked 'Main Switch'.

Reply to Switch that switches off all the lights in the house in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net