Discuss switch wire I D in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi guys,
just having a debate over switch wires not being marked up,
one guy says its a code 3
one says if you don't understand what the cable does and where it goes you should not be in the fitting in the first place.
care to comment guys

I expect to see it in every installation I arrive at to be honest, it's that commonplace. Yes, a code 3 on an EICR too.

thanks Andy78
the scenario of the ID switch wire came up after my friend changed a light fitting on a new build and found no ID on the switch wires,
NIC registered install too

Its a requirement now if the cable is not of a phase colour (earth conductors not to be used for L or N of course), so as you testing to the 17th you will need to code it as suggested, yes also you colleague is correct you should be suitably competent in the first place but the regs are designed to reduce confusion and accidents and this is one area DIYers often balls up as well as the less competent sparks.

When you say ID are we talking about marking up the black (old colours) or the blue (new colours) with a sleeve to identify it as a phase conductor?

I can see both sides, we used twin red (old colours) on switch drops with t&e or sleeving red/black, brown tape would not be a fail?, it's been id. thoughts.?

...Must be a slow news day...if i have to comment,it would be to say how disappointed i would be,if i read a previously completed EICR,with code 3's for missing cable ID's,and everything important Limmed out...

If more people would buy the correct cable ie. twin brown PVC/PVC or in old money twin red PVC/PVC then this problem would never be an issue. Always wondered why this is not normal practice on the mainland.

A tagged blue gives more information at a glance (i.e. which is L & SL) than twin brown. The browns might be different but not so obvious.

hi guys,
just having a debate over switch wires not being marked up,
one guy says its a code 3
one says if you don't understand what the cable does and where it goes you should not be in the fitting in the first place.
care to comment guys
Oh no------------

Attachments

• switch wire I D fainted - EletriciansForums.net
    fainted.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 76

Reply to switch wire I D in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock